I am a Professor of Information Seeking and Retrieval in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences.
I work in the area of information seeking and retrieval; understanding how (and why) people search for information and how electronic systems might help them search more successfully. This brings in a wide range of research including theoretical research on the design and modelling of information access systems, empirical research on interfaces and user interaction and research on the methodology of evaluating information access systems.
Recent research has included interface design research to help children search for information, information seeking studies on information poverty within marginalised groups and studies on how people use online information to create a sense of happiness.
- Information Seeking in Context
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Information Processing and Management
- To be assigned
- Information Research
- Editorial board member
- ACM CIKM
- Journal of Information Science
- Editorial board member
more professional activities
- Understanding the Information Needs of Young First Time Mothers from Areas of Multiple Deprivation
- Buchanan, Steven (Principal Investigator) Ruthven, Ian (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Jun-2015 - 30-Nov-2017
- Scottish Network on Digital Cultural Resources Evaluation (ScotDigiCH)
- Ruthven, Ian (Principal Investigator) Damala, Areti (Principal Investigator)
- The network brings together academics from different disciplines and professionals from Scotland's key cultural organisations in order to investigate how cultural digital resources are used by diverse user groups, how to record their impact on learning, research and community engagement and how to maximize their potential.
- Period 15-Jan-2015 - 30-Dec-2016
- Re-design of interactive exhibits using low cost technology for proof of concept prototypes
- Ruthven, Ian (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-May-2014 - 30-Sep-2015
- Scottish ESRC Doctoral Training Centre DTG 2011 | Loudon, Katherine Jane
- Buchanan, Steven (Principal Investigator) Ruthven, Ian (Co-investigator) Loudon, Katherine Jane (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2013 - 01-Oct-2016
- Scottish ESRC Doctoral Training Centre DTG 2011 | Breslin Davda, Frances Mary
- Buchanan, Steven (Principal Investigator) Ruthven, Ian (Co-investigator) Breslin Davda, Frances Mary (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2013 - 01-Jan-2018
Computer and Information Sciences
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map