Under the Data Protection Act (1998), individuals (“data subjects”) have a right to know what data is held about them by the University and to access their personal data. In order to exercise this right an individual must submit a “Subject Access Request” (SAR).
- All requests must be made in writing. The easiest way to ensure you have provided all the necessary documentation and information to process your request is to complete the University's standard Subject Access Request Form.
- Please note - it is not obligatory to complete the form. If you'd prefer you can write to us in hard copy or by email at the addresses below.
- You must specify the information you wish to access. If you are looking for specific information and/or you know where in the University the information you are interested in is likely to be held e.g. a specific academic department/HR department/member of staff etc then please state this clearly (on the form or in your letter/email).
- You must also provide a copy of an official form of identification, for example passport or driver’s licence. NB Do not send original documents.
- The University has the right to charge a £10 fee. A cheque, made payable to the University of Strathclyde, must be sent along with the other documentation.
- All documentation must be sent to the Information Governance Unit, Room 2.52, McCance Building, University of Strathclyde, 16 Richmond Street, G1 1XQ. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University will handle your request in the strictest confidence. Authorised staff in relevant departments/service areas will be contacted to locate and retrieve the required information. This will then be passed to the Information Governance Unit to prepare for release as appropriate. SAR requests are handled on a strictly ‘need-to-know’ basis.
- University has 40 calendar days, from the receipt of all documentation, to process the request.
- Depending on the volume and type of information held the response will often be sent to you in hard copy by recorded delivery.
If you wish to request information which is not about you then this would come under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act. Please see our FOI webpages for more information.
Please note that you can only request your own personal data the Data Protection Act. You cannot request information about another individual under a Subject Access Request unless you are authorised to act on behalf of the data subject and can provide evidence to this effect.
If you have any queries about submitting a SAR please contact email@example.com or phone 0141 548 3217.
- All requests must be made in writing. The easiest way to ensure you have provided all the necessary documentation and information to process your request is to complete the University's standard Subject Access Request - CCTV Form
- However, please note that it is NOT obligatory for you to complete the form. You must however, provide all of the information outlined below.
- You must provide evidence of your identity such as a photocopy of your University staff/student card, or the identity section of your passport or driving licence.
- A recent photograph of you is also required to enable the University to conduct a search.
- You will be asked to specify details of the camera location, time and date footage was recorded as well as a general description of your appearance, clothing etc at the time the image was recorded.
A fee of £10 will be charged to handle your request.