Why this course?
This part-time course enables suitably-qualified pharmaceutical industry employees to:
- acquire the necessary knowledge base to submit themselves for nomination as a Qualified Person (QP)
- develop relevant academic knowledge and skills at postgraduate level
- develop research and investigative skills in the area of pharmaceutical quality and good manufacturing practice
The course is provided in a unique collaboration between:
- Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS)
- NSF Health Sciences (formerly known as NSF-DBA and David Begg Associates (DBA))
NSF-Health Sciences are leading experts in the pharmaceutical and medical devices industries offering training, consultancy and auditing services.
You’re required to complete six of the NSF-DBA modules for consideration for the Postgraduate Certificate. For the Postgraduate Diploma you need to complete twelve modules.
Modules run over a 21-month period as a series of 13 one-week residential courses. You complete additional study before sitting examinations for the award of the Certificate or Diploma.
The Diploma can be converted to the MSc by completion of a research project which is normally undertaken at your workplace.
The course is by part-time study only.
The course is based on the syllabus in the European-approved 'Qualified Person' (QP) study guide as used in the pharmaceutical industry.
The course content includes all the diverse elements required to ensure that each batch of a medicinal product meets the quality requirements of the relevant product and manufacturer's licences. This includes:
- an understanding of the pharmacology and chemistry of the product's active and other ingredients
- a knowledge of how the product was manufactured
- how the product delivers the drug in the patient's body
- how the patient's body is expected to handle the drug by way of excretion and metabolism
You’re also made aware of the statutory framework which is applied in the control of the manufacture and distribution of medicinal products.
The Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS) offers an excellent environment for research and teaching. It’s located in a new building with several laboratories. All are fitted with modern equipment.
- NSF-DBA staff
- personnel from the regulatory authorities and the pharmaceutical industry
- University of Strathclyde staff with expertise in pharmaceutical quality