International students Student visa - applying outside the UK

Student visa information and eligibility

This page offers information for international students applying for a Student visa who are outside the UK and will be starting a new course of study at the University of Strathclyde or returning to complete their studies after a period of time outside of the UK.

Please note the Student visa application process may be different depending on your nationality and/or from what country where you are applying. You can find out more from the drop-down windows below.

Students from the following countries may apply for a Student visa with the UK Immigration: ID Check app. If you experience issues with using the app, you may be asked to give your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph) at a UK visa application centre.

You will receive information on what to do when you apply.


EU countries

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden

European Economic Area (EEA)Countries

Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are a student with Pre-Settled Status or Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme, then you do not have to apply for a Student visa if your status covers the duration of your studies. Having Pre-Settled Status or Settled Status permits you to travel to the UK and to live, study or work in the UK.

You wil be asked to provide evidence of your EUSS status to the University.

More information:

The healthcare surcharge (also known as "Immigration Health Surcharge") will have to be paid as part of your visa application.

How much you pay will depend on how long your visa will be granted. If you have your CAS, you can calculate your healthcare surcharge using the calculator link below.

The surcharge cannot be paid in installments and must be paid in full as part of the visa application process. 

More information:


Who can be a Dependant?

Some students may wish to bring their family to join them in the UK during their studies. From a visa perspective, they are often referred to as "Dependants."

Dependants of a Student visa applicant must meet eligibility and financial requirements in Appendix Student

A Dependant can be one of the following:

  • Your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Your unmarried partner
  • Your child under 18 years old

In order to have Dependants on a Student visa:

  • The main Student applicant must be studying a postgraduate level (course level SCQF 11 or higher) full-time course 9 months or longer at the University of Strathclyde OR
  • The main Student applicant must be in receipt of an award from a Government and the main Student applicant's course is full-time and at least 6 months OR

Additional evidence of your relationship to your dependants will have to be provided when they apply. Please see our Supporting documents guidance for details.

Financial requirements for Dependants

For details on the financial requirements for Dependants, please see our Supporting documents guidance.

More information:

Student visa application information and overview

  • You must apply in your country of nationality or [the country where you are living with permission]
  • There are two ways to complete your application:
    • For EU/EEA/Swiss nationals - Use the UK Immigration: ID Check app
    • For Non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals - Complete the Student visa application online and attend an in-person appointment
  • Some nationalities may require additional documents before applying, such as a Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate or ATAS certificate
  • Do not travel to the UK before receiving your Student visa
    • Wait until you have received your Student visa, which will either be a vignette (visa sticker) in your passport or your digital visa status online
  • Check your email regularly (including junk and spam folders) in case UKVI try to contact you about your application
  • If you have questions about your application, please ask the International Student Support Team before you make any payment


Overview of Student visa application process outside the UK

Follow the steps below on how to apply for your Student visa from your country outside the UK. You can read more information on each step from the corresponding links.

StepMore information
1. Understand Student visa requirements and check your eligibility to apply
1a. If you are planning to apply with Dependants, check that you meet requirements
1b. Certain applicants may require a Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate before applying for a Student visa, check if you are required to provide a TB test
2. Find your nearest UK visa application centre

3. Receive your CAS


  • Students starting a new course will receive a CAS by email from Admissions

  • Please ensure that the information in your CAS is correct before continuing

4. Apply for ATAS if required
5. Prepare your finances and supporting documents
6. Start answering questions on the Student visa application
  • Check under "Apply outside the UK" on the page
  • Students from EU/EEA/Switzerland: EU, EEA and Swiss nationals applying for the Student visa can use the UK: Immigration ID Check app to apply
7. Check answers by referring to Student visa application guidance
8. If you have questions about your visa application or supporting documents, please ask ISST before making any payment
  • Before contacting our team for advice on your application, please ensure you have not paid for your application online, you have completed the above steps
8a. If you contact ISST for visa advice, please familiarise yourself with our Code of Practice and Privacy Notice before contacting our service

If you have contacted ISST requesting advice and guidance on your visa application, please wait for a response from an adviser before proceeding with the next steps.

StepMore information
9. Pay for your Immigration Health Surcharge, application fee and biometric enrollment fee

10. Follow instructions from your UK visa application centre for the process

11. The Home Office will consider and make a decision on your application
  • An email will be sent to you by UKVI with a decision on your visa application

  • If your visa application is refused, please contact the University Visa Compliance team ( immediately along with the details of your visa refusal

12. If your visa application is successful you will receive an entry clearance vignette (visa sticker) in your passport and a decision letter explaining the conditions of your visa and information on where to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

The vignette should be for a period of 90 days if you are doing a course of more than 6 months

EEA nationals please see information at right

  • Check that the details are correct on your visa vignette and your decision letter and check that your visa covers you through to the end of your course

  • If you find errors on your visa, contact ISST and you will be advised what to do 
  • Non-EEA nationals: You will be given details on how and where to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) at a collection location in your decision letter

  • Due to Coronavirus restrictions most University of Strathclyde offices remain closed - the Post Office for BRP collection nearest to the University is on Glassford Street, G1 1UG, Glasgow 

13. Travel to the UK on or after the "Valid from" date on your Student visa

  • Please check with UK and Scottish government guidance for most up to date information on travelling to the UK, as well as your home country's government guidance

13. Arrival and registration with the University of Strathclyde

13a. Register with the police (certain nationals only)

  • The Police Registration Scheme ended and students are no longer required to register with the police - see links below for further information


Frequently asked questions

UKVI advise on their Student visa page that it normally takes 3 weeks to receive a decision. However it may depend on whether you have paid for a quicker processing service. Processing times may be longer during particularly busy periods.

We recommend for Student visa applicants to wait for a decision on their visa application and have received all their documents before making travel arrangements and before travelling.

More information:

The application fee is £363 for the main Student visa applicant applying outside the UK.

If you are applying with Dependants, it will cost £363 for each Dependant applicant.

More information:

For students who have already applied for their Student visa, we strongly advise for students to wait for a decision on their Student visa and have received their entry clearance vignette (visa sticker in passport) before making arrangements and travelling to the UK.

If you have booked your flights before receiving a decision on your visa application, there is a risk you may have to reschedule flights or lose out on money paid.

Travelling to the UK before having your Student visa may also cause issues with being able to register to start your course.

Therefore we recommend for students to wait to receive their Student visa in hand before booking flights and travelling to the UK.

During the application process, you will be asked where you want to collect your BRP.  You can opt for this to be sent to the University or you can collect it from a local post office.

The Post Office nearest to the University is at Glassford Street G1 1UG.

If you do choose to collect your BRP from the University, you will need to use the ACL code: 2HE582. You will not be able to collect your BRP immediately and will need an appointment to collect your BRP from the University.  The Post Office remains the quickest option for collection of your BRP.

If your Student visa application is successful, students will receive their decision either by email or with a letter explaining the conditions of your new Student visa. Please check the letter carefully, as it will contain instructions on where to collect your BRP.