My research interests include: environmental pollution exposure assessment; environmental epidemiology; risk-based assessment of environmental influences on health; and the interface between environmental health & environmental engineering.
Research foci include the provision of more accurate and extensive exposure estimates in environmental epidemiology studies of the health effects of air pollution in urban areas. Projects in this field include the estimation of concentrations of traffic-related air pollutants; and epidemiological analyses of the contrasting effects of short, intermediate and long-term exposure to air pollutants on the population of Scotland.
Funding has been obtained for research on air pollution and human health from NERC, Department of Health, MRC, the Colt Foundation and the Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland. Research collaboration includes the Universities of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
I am involved in the design, development and delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate classes, including the following areas:
- Environmental pollution exposure assessment
- Epidemiological assessment of risks from environmental influences on health
- Risk management of environmental influences on health
This teaching includes a refocusing of contemporary environmental health and environmental engineering education on public health science, environmental epidemiology and environmental pollution exposure assessment.
- Invited peer-reviewer for papers submitted to following international research journals: Atmospheric Environment (Elsevier); Science of the Total Environment (Elsevier); Environmental Research (Elsevier); Journal of Environmental Monitoring (Royal Society of Chemistry); International Journal of Environmental Health (Carfax); International Journal of Environment and Waste Management (Inderscience).
- Peer reviewer
- Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) (External organisation)
More professional activities
- Measurement and modelling of the health effects of exposure to air pollutants from the use of wood burning stoves in urban areas.
- Beattie, Tara (Principal Investigator) Beverland, Iain (Principal Investigator) Beattie, Tara (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2025
- Development of Framework for Sustainable Decommissioning by Utilising the expertise gained in Ship Recycling
- Turan, Osman (Principal Investigator) Beverland, Iain (Co-investigator) Kurt, Rafet (Co-investigator) Lord, Richard (Co-investigator) Phoenix, Vernon (Co-investigator) Gunbeyaz, Sefer Anil (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 30-Jan-2020
- Developing Smart Cities in India
- Bellingham, Richard (Principal Investigator) Beverland, Iain (Co-investigator) Ferguson, Neil (Co-investigator) Riccardi, Annalisa (Co-investigator) Rogerson, Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Hope, Caitlin
- Beverland, Iain (Principal Investigator) Beattie, Tara (Co-investigator) Hope, Caitlin (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2024
- SFC GCRF Pump Priming - Cleaner Air for Kolkata
- Bellingham, Richard (Principal Investigator) Beverland, Iain (Co-investigator) Ferguson, Neil (Co-investigator) Kelly, Nicolas (Co-investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator) Rogerson, Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2019
- Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP 2016-2017 University of Strathclyde) | Mabonga, Fiona
- Beverland, Iain (Principal Investigator) Beattie, Tara (Co-investigator) Mabonga, Fiona (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2016 - 01-Jan-2020
Civil and Environmental Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map