I am an ex-secondary Head Teacher who has spent 20 years working at senior levels in both English and Scottish schools. I joined the University in 2014 to lead a project aimed at strengthening the partnership approach to Initial Teacher Education; working across two Universities and nine Local Authorities. Since then I have become heavily involved in the development, writing and teaching of our Masters courses in Educational Leadership as well as our Headship qualifications.
My research interests are focused on leadership preparation and development across different hierarchical structures in schools. Having gained a Distinction award at Masters level I am now progressing with my doctoral studies.
I am course leader for the Management and Leadership in Education Masters programme.
I am module leader on our new Masters programme on Educational Leadership, titles which include: Conceptions of Leadership: Contexts for Leadership: Strategic Leadership: Work-based Project.
I am a course tutor for our Masters course (delivered in partnership with Scottish College for Educational Leadership), Into Headship Programme.
I have supervised dissertation students in a variety of projects related to leadership and management.
I have also designed and delivered bespoke leadership courses to a variety of clients.
My research interests focus on the study of leadership and in particular the development of leadership. This includes development of leadership capabilities in both formal and informal aspects. I am interested in the importance in school culture and its relationship to staff development.
I am a member of the British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society (BELMAS) where I am also member of their Research Interest Group in Leadership Preparation and Development.
- SERA Conference 2017
- Culture before Courses
- British Educational Leadership, Manangement and Administration Society Annual Conference 2016
- Scottish Learning Festival 2015
- Associate Assessor
- West Partnership; Initial Teacher Education Conference
more professional activities
- Early Phase for Partnership for Teacher Education
- Holmes, Joanna (Principal Investigator)
- The West Partnership submitted a bid to the Scottish Government for monies to allow them to further strengthen their partnership work, working within the context of National Framework Agreement for Partnership in the Early Phase of Teacher Learning. They planned to appoint a Project Team (PT) working across all 11 establishments.
The Project Leader (Joanna Holmes) and Administrative Assistant were in post by the beginning of August 2014. A further team member (Project Advisor) joined in October 2014.
The Project Team (PT) held regular meetings with the Operational Group (which has a representative from each LA and University plus EIS representation). The Operational Group act as a steering group, discussing and agreeing recommendations and ways forward presented by the PT.
The PT also made contact with a variety of other agencies and individuals, this includes the other partnerships, Prof Graham Donaldson, TERG (Teacher Education Reference Group), GTCs, Scottish Government, additional university departments, Senior Managers in schools.
Initially after stakeholder interviews the PT developed a strategic vision which was agreed by the Operational Group. The PT also organised and held a conference which allowed University tutors, school representatives, NQTs, LA representatives and union representatives to discuss the progress made so far in ITE while reflecting on TSF recommendations.
A working group was been set up to consider an alignment of placement experience across the 2 Universities.
Further work includes networks with GTCs, Education Scotland, LA reps and the Universities to develop Professional Learning programs for staff across the partnership. And work in raising awareness and engaging more staff in the work of Partnership across the LAs in particular with Senior Managers in schools.
- Period 11-Aug-2014 - 30-Jun-2016
- Nurturing School Ethos to Improve Educational Attainment
- Cassidy, Claire (Principal Investigator) Holmes, Joanna (Co-investigator) Klein, Markus (Co-investigator) Sosu, Edward (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Aug-2017 - 31-Mar-2019
- Tianjin/ Strathclyde partnership in Teacher Professional Learning
- Roxburgh, David (Principal Investigator) Christie, Donald (Academic) Holmes, Joanna (Co-investigator)
- Exploration of the delivery by the School of Education at Strathclyde University of Continuing Professional Learning activities for practising Chinese teachers in the city of Tianjin, China.
- Period 01-Jul-2016
Lord Hope Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map