I joined the University in 2012 as Senior Lecturer in Engineering Geoscience, at title reflecting my broad interests in the application of engineering to societal challenges. My research and professional interests include the remediation of contaminated land, identifying sustainable sources of renewable energy and other ecosystem services, and the exploration for, exploitation and environmental impacts of geological resources. I am currently Director of Knowledge Exchange, providing a focus for the Department's external activities, including continuing professional development, consultancy and knowledge transfer. I am also the Faculty of Engineering champion for Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, probably the best known of all University knowledge exchange activities (see www.ktponline.org.uk/).
My teaching duties include leading the "Energy Design Projects" for MEng & MSc Civil Engineering students and the "Independent Study in Collaboration with Industry (including Carbon Trusts SME Carbon Audit)" module for Enironmental masters students. I am Course Director for the MRes programmes in Climate Change Adaptation, Geo-Environmental Engineering and Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control (IPPC).
- AquaConSoil 2019 15th International Conference Sustainable Use and Management of Soil, Sediment and Water Resources, 20–24 May 2019, Antwerp, Belgium (Event)
- Supergen Bioenergy Hub Researchers' Day 2018
- Using marginal land for Reed Canarygrass production as part of the circular bio-economy
- IBioIC Annual Conference
- KTP Workshop
- NERC CDT proposal assessment panel (Event)
- Peer reviewer
more professional activities
- What happens to groundwater chemistry during fault slip: implications for rock friction (£1.2K)
- Stillings, Mark (Principal Investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Lord, Richard (Co-investigator)
- Mimicking the pressure changes in groundwater during earthquakes. Changes in groundwater pressure can trigger precipitation and dissolution of minerals, changing water chemistry and fracture surfaces. This in turn can lead to changes in rock friction, potentially increasing the magnitude of future earthquakes.
- 31-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2019
- Groundwater geochemistry changes during unloading due to reservoir drainage: Main study (£25K)
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator) Stillings, Mark (Post Grad Student) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator) Boyce, Adrian J. (Co-investigator)
- Use of NERC Isotope Community Support Facility Application IP-1762-1117 (£25K)
- SURICATES - Sediment Uses as Resources in Circular And Territorial Economies.
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator) Bertram, Doug (Co-investigator) João, Elsa (Co-investigator) Zawdie, Girma (Co-investigator) Tarantino, Alessandro (Co-investigator)
- €5.7M Interreg NWE Industrial Research Partnership
- 21-Jan-2017 - 21-Jan-2022
- 10-year carbon storage & nutrient status of compost-amended brownfield soils: BLRS Legacy BioReGen
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator)
- The purpose of the present study was to determine the long-term benefits of adding compost compost during restoration of brownfield sites, especially from the perspective of carbon stored as organic matter. In 2007 five brownfield sites in NE England were amended with PAS100 green waste compost prior to planting with four energy crops – SRC willow, Miscanthus, switchgrass and reed canarygrass. At the Rainton Bridge site near Sunderland the resulting 1 hectare trial included perpendicular strips where 250, 500 or 750 t.ha-1 of compost were spread and incorporated into the upper c 10 cm surface of subsoil placed over a clay cap. Soils at this site were resampled in 2017-18 to determine if the effects of different rates of compost addition were still discernible. Tests included total and available nutrients, residual contaminants and in particular the resultant soil organic carbon levels.
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2018
- SURICATES- Sediment Uses as Resources in Circular And Territorial Economies
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator)
- 20-Jan-2017 - 19-Jan-2021
- Energy Technology Partnership award with Absolute Solar and Wind
- Bertram, Doug (Co-investigator) Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator)
- 14-Jan-2017 - 14-Jan-2018
Civil and Environmental Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map