I joined the University in 2012 as Senior Lecturer in Engineering Geoscience, at title reflecting my broad interests in the application of engineering to societal challenges. My research and professional interests include the remediation of contaminated land, identifying sustainable sources of renewable energy and other ecosystem services, and the exploration for, exploitation and environmental impacts of geological resources. I am currently Director of Knowledge Exchange, providing a focus for the Department's external activities, including continuing professional development, consultancy and knowledge transfer. I am also the Faculty of Engineering champion for Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, probably the best known of all University knowledge exchange activities (see www.ktponline.org.uk/).
My teaching duties include leading the "Energy Design Projects" for MEng & MSc Civil Engineering students and the "Independent Study in Collaboration with Industry (including Carbon Trusts SME Carbon Audit)" module for Enironmental masters students. I am Course Director for the MRes programmes in Climate Change Adaptation, Geo-Environmental Engineering and Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control (IPPC).
- KTP Workshop
more professional activities
- What happens to groundwater chemistry during fault slip: implications for rock friction (£1.2K)
- Stillings, Mark (Principal Investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Lord, Richard (Co-investigator)
- Mimicking the pressure changes in groundwater during earthquakes. Changes in groundwater pressure can trigger precipitation and dissolution of minerals, changing water chemistry and fracture surfaces. This in turn can lead to changes in rock friction, potentially increasing the magnitude of future earthquakes.
- Period 31-Mar-2018 - 31-Mar-2019
- Groundwater geochemistry changes during unloading due to reservoir drainage - pilot study (£7K)
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator) Stillings, Mark (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator)
- Use of NERC Isotope Community Support Facility, application IP-1583-1115
- Period 01-Feb-2016
- Groundwater geochemistry changes during unloading due to reservoir drainage: Main study (£25K)
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator) Stillings, Mark (Post Grad Student) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator)
- Use of NERC Isotope Community Support Facility Application IP-1762-1117 (£25K)
- Period 01-Feb-2018
- SURICATES - Sediment Uses as Resources in Circular And Territorial Economies.
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator) Bertram, Douglas (Co-investigator) Joao, Elsa (Co-investigator) Zawdie, Girma (Co-investigator) Tarantino, Alessandro (Co-investigator)
- €5.7M Interreg NWE Industrial Research Partnership
- Period 21-Dec-2017 - 21-Dec-2022
- Energy Technology Partnership award with Absolute Solar and Wind
- Bertram, Douglas (Co-investigator) Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator)
- Period 15-Sep-2017 - 15-Sep-2018
- 10-year carbon storage & nutrient status of compost-amended brownfield soils: BLRS Legacy BioReGen
- Lord, Richard (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2017 - 31-Jul-2018
Civil and Environmental Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map