Dr Katerina Nicolopoulou, PhD, FHEA, MSc, LLM
I am a Reader in Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation for large scale strategic change at the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, and the Global DBA Director of the Strathclyde Business School.
At the University level, I am a Strategic sub- theme Leader for Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship, as well as one of the three Academic Mentors for the Doctoral Training Centre in Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SPIE).
I have several years of teaching experience and teaching team leadership at postgraduate (MSc), faculty-level MRes, and international post-experience MBA (Europe, Gulf countries, S. East Asia and Hong Kong).
My research as PI and Co-I has been funded by internal as well as external grants, including Newton Fund and GCRF (Scottish Funding Council).
I have played an active part in a number of established management conferences (AoM, EURAM, BAM) through subject matter leadership and committee citizenship, and one of my co-authored papers has received the best paper award of the SIG Entrepreneurship at EURAM 2017.
Between 2016-2019, I served as an Associate Editor for the ABS 3* Journal European Management Review, and since 2020 I am an Associate Editor for the Journal of Social Entrepreneurship.
I have a comprehensive scholarship profile which includes 19 published papers, in journals such as Human Resource Management (FT50 list), Journal of Small Business Management, R&D Management, European Management Review, Organization & Environment, International Journal of Human Resource Management, as well as editorship of 5 journal Special Issues- one of them for Entrepreneurship and Regional Development- and 4 books with E. Elgar and Routledge.
I have acted as external PhD examiner (UK and Australia) as well as a supervisor for multiple PhD students (different funding schemes including split-side with European universities). I have also mentored and supported various ECRs and PhD students in a number of PhD Colloquia and dedicated workshops.
I am an external advisor to the new Leadership coaching programme at George Washington University, Centre of Excellence in Public Leadership DC., USA, which focuses on supporting organisations and communities for greater presence and impact, in alignment to the UN SDGs.
As a practitioner, I have several years of international experience in senior positions (strategic affairs and planning, corporate social responsibility, advisory, training, company ownership).
I am highly experienced with international MBA alumni engagement activities, including hosting Thought Leadership series, supporting alumni start-ups through the creative ideation/ concept refinement and internationalisation process, as well as developing and running international engagement events with strategic partners (government, diplomatic missions, private sector, enterprises).
I have also acted numerous times as an International Judge for industry and research initiatives in social and sustainable innovation and entrepreneurship (Shell LiveWire, Philippe De Woot Award, UNESCO Newton Prize, Canegie Trust, as well as the European Commission).
My current PhD supervisees include:
- Fahad Al Bimani (Entrepreneurship Ecosystems in Oman- First supervisor)
- Christine Samy (Female entrepreneurship in Urban settlements of Greater Cairo- First supervisor) (University of Strathlyde PhD Studentship)
- Jacqui Tracey (Absorptive Capacity - Irish SMEs/hospitality- First supervisor)
- Monica Vasquez de Solar (Social Entrepreneurship: Institutional perspectives- Second supervisor Comillas ECADE partnership)
- Sherine Mohamed (Entrepreneurship Education models-First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)
- Naraporn Thammadee (Social Entrepreneurs as Leaders and Human Capital in Social Enterprises-First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)
-Henry Emeka Eze (Youth Entrepreneurship and innovation in Nigeria and Ghana- First Supervisor)
- Afsa Mukasa (Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship Centre for Doctoral Training Researcher in Social Entrepreurship- second supervisor)