Dr Katerina Nicolopoulou, PhD, FHEA, MSc, LLM
I am a Professor in Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation for large scale strategic change at the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, and the Global DBA Director of the Strathclyde Business School. I am also the University Academic Lead for Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Strategic sub- theme Leader for Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship, one of the three Academic Mentors for the Doctoral Training Centre in Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship and Director of the Research Group Global Socially Progressive Entrepreneurship and Innovation Global Socially Progressive Entrepreneurship & Innovation Research Group | University of Strathclyde
I have several years of teaching experience and teaching team leadership at postgraduate (MSc), faculty-level MRes, and international post-experience MBA (Europe, Gulf countries, S. East Asia and Hong Kong).
My research as PI and Co-I has been funded by various grants, including Newton Fund and GCRF (Scottish Funding Council), of which a total of ca. £90,000 has been dedicated to the study of unplanned urban communities and female entrepreneurship.
I have played an active part in a number of established management conferences (AoM, EURAM, BAM) through subject matter leadership and committee citizenship, and one of my co-authored papers has received the best paper award of the SIG Entrepreneurship at EURAM 2017. Between 2016-2019, I served as an Associate Editor for the ABS 3 journal European Management Review, and since 2020 I am an Associate Editor for the Journal of Social Entrepreneurship.
I have a comprehensive scholarship profile which includes 21 published papers, in journals such as Human Resource Management (FT50 list), Journal of Small Business Management, R&D Management, European Management Review, Organization & Environment, Business & Society, International Journal of Human Resource Management, and editorship of 5 journal Special Issues- including Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, European Management Journal and International Journal of Enterpreneurial Behavior and Research- as well as 4 books with E. Elgar and Routledge.
I have acted as external PhD examiner (UK and Australia) as well as a supervisor for multiple PhD students (different funding schemes including partnerships with European universities). I have also mentored and supported various ECRs and PhD students in a number of PhD Colloquia and dedicated workshops. I am an external advisor to the Leadership coaching programme at George Washington University, Centre of Excellence in Public Leadership DC., USA, which focuses on supporting organisations and communities for greater presence and impact, in alignment to the UN SDGs.
As a practitioner, I have several years of international experience in senior positions (strategic affairs and planning, corporate social responsibility, advisory, training, company ownership). I have also acted numerous times as an International Judge for industry and research initiatives in social and sustainable entrepreneurship and innovation (Shell LiveWire, Philippe De Woot Award, UNESCO Newton Prize, Canegie Trust, as well as the European Commission).
I am highly experienced with international MBA alumni engagement activities, including hosting Thought Leadership series, supporting alumni start-ups through the creative ideation/ concept refinement and internationalisation process, as well as developing and running international engagement events with strategic partners ( such as government/diplomatic missions, private sector, enterprises).
My current PhD and DBA supervisees include:
- Fahad Al Bimani (Entrepreneurship Ecosystems in Oman- First supervisor)
- Christine Samy (Female entrepreneurship in Urban settlements of Greater Cairo- First supervisor) (University of Strathlyde PhD Studentship)
- Jacqui Tracey (Absorptive Capacity - Irish SMEs/hospitality- First supervisor)
- Monica Vasquez de Solar (Social Entrepreneurship: Institutional perspectives- Second supervisor Comillas ECADE partnership)
- Sherine Mohamed (Entrepreneurship Education models-First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)
- Naraporn Thammadee (Social Entrepreneurs as Leaders and Human Capital in Social Enterprises-First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)
-Henry Emeka Eze (Youth Entrepreneurship and innovation in Nigeria and Ghana- First Supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD studentship)
- Afsa Mukasa (Socially Progressive Innovation and Entrepreneurship Centre for Doctoral Training Researcher in Social Entrepreurship- Second supervisor)
-Ahmed Fahmy (Management of Innovation Processes in Large Corporations, DBA- Second supervisor)
-Sara Yaqoob (Social Impact Measurement in Social Enterprises, DBA-First supervisor)
-Meriem Khadia (Women Entrepreneurs and cybersecurity, DBA-Second supervisor)
- Beverly Best (Women and Digital Entrepreneurship, PhD-First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)
- Zakia Jabeen (Female Social Entrepreneurs in the Zero Waste Sector, PhD- First supervisor) (University of Strathclyde PhD Studentship)