The continuous development of ultrashort pulsed high power lasers over the last 30 years has carved out new scientific frontiers, such as advanced table-top accelerators of charged particles, advanced laser fusion concepts, laboratory astrophysics, high field QED physics, and so on. In addition to academic interest, some of them are closely relevant to medical and industrial applications. For almost 30 years, I have worked on the fundamental physics of relativistic laser-plasma interactions and their applications in advanced particle accelerators and novel radiation sources, inertial confined fusion, high energy density physics, and laboratory astrophysics by theory and numerical simulations, etc. I have led a theory group and trained over 25 PhD students and postdoctoral researchers in the last 17 years, and established wide collaboration with groups from China, Japan, India, Germany, UK, and USA. I have coauthored over 300 peer-reviewed papers with H-index 52 (in google scholars: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=GBjZ0pYAAAAJ).
I am involved in teaching the course of "Laser driven plasma acceleration" both in the department of physics and SUPA and the 3rd year lab teaching.
Relativistic laser-plasma interaction, laser-driven particle acceleration, novel radiation from terahertz to X and gamma-ray radiations, laser-driven high energy density physics (including laboratory astrophysics).
- Multistage coupling of laser wakefield accelerators
- Relativistic laser plasma for physics at extreme: from attosecond light sources to nonlinear QED physics
- Plasma photonics for applications: from laser particle accelerator to laser fusion
- Suppression of parametric instabilities with decoupled broadband lasers in plasma and fast ignition of ICF with magnetized targets
- Summary of Laser Plasma Sessions
- Studies of laser plasma based electron acceleration and radiation
more professional activities
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Campbell, David
- Hidding, Bernhard (Principal Investigator) Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Co-investigator) Campbell, David (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2023
- DESY Contribution of Studentship Evangelos Matzoukas
- Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Principal Investigator)
- 31-Jan-2019 - 30-Jan-2022
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Matzoukas, Evangelos
- Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Principal Investigator) Hidding, Bernhard (Co-investigator) Matzoukas, Evangelos (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2022
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Nutter, Alastair
- Hidding, Bernhard (Principal Investigator) Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Co-investigator) Nutter, Alastair (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Boulton, Lewis
- Hidding, Bernhard (Principal Investigator) Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Co-investigator) Boulton, Lewis (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- Accelerating the Middle East -- EPSRC GCRF Institutional Sponsorship
- Hidding, Bernhard (Principal Investigator) McKenna, Paul (Principal Investigator) Sheng, Zheng-Ming (Principal Investigator) Jaroszynski, Dino (Principal Investigator)
- Compact plasma accelerators for applications e.g. in life and space sciences with sustainable socio-economic benefit for Turkey and the Middle East are being developed.
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2018
John Anderson Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map