The Inter-Library Service obtains materials that are not available in the University Library.
Inter-Library Loans (ILL) are available to:
- academic and academic-related staff
- research staff
- postgraduate students, and
- final-year Honours students
If you are not in your final year but are undertaking your dissertation early, please contact help
Others can use the Inter-Library Service (ILS), but there is a charge.
Photocopy/Secure Electronic Delivery
- Staff/students: £8 plus £2 non-refundable deposit
- Retired staff and special readers: £9 plus £2 non-refundable deposit, plus copyright fee if applicable
- Commercial and external members: £11 plus £2 non-refundable deposit plus copyright fee
- Staff/students: £12 plus £2 non-refundable deposit
- Retired staff and special readers: £14 plus £2 non-refundable deposit
- Commercial and external members: £20 plus £2 non-refundable deposit
We ask you to pay a non-refundable deposit when you place your request. You then pay the outstanding balance when your item(s) arrives.
- held in the University Library stock
- available from other local libraries, or
- accessible from online sources
Place a request
You can place a request by:
- A fault is affecting our ILL request form usually found on this page. We're working to fix it. In the meantime, please sign in to Suprimo and use the Inter Library Request option on the menu bar. Should you have any difficulty using the form, please email help
- Conducting an article/database search in SUPrimo and selecting 'Expand beyond library collections'. Choose the 'Get it' tab from any of the articles that we don't have access to and sign in to SUPrimo you will see the Inter-Library Request option. You should always ensure you have read an abstract or summary of the article before making a request.
Track your ILL request
You can monitor the progress of your ILL requests by checking your Library account. Log in to your account by following the links on SUPrimo.
The British Library can deliver electronic articles through their Secure Electronic Delivery (SED) service. This service is ideal if you make frequent use of inter-library loans or are not based on campus.
Articles are delivered directly to your University email address for you to print if and when you choose, however:
- you have to take time to set up the service the first time you use it
- you bear the cost of printing any articles
- you must open the document within 14 days of it being sent to you
- the link only works once, so you cannot store or print the document more than once
Find out more about Secure Electronic Delivery.
Under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and the European Union's Copyright Directive, an Inter-Library Request will only be fulfilled if the following conditions are satisfied:
- you have not previously been supplied with a copy of the same request by any library
- you will use the copy only for a non-commercial purpose and will not supply a copy of it to any other person
- to the best of your knowledge, no other person with whom you work or study has made, or intends to make, at or about the same time, a request for substantially the same material for substantially the same purpose
- if this item was delivered by an electronic method (including fax), you will retain only a single paper copy and destroy any electronic copies after printing
You can now download UK PhD theses directly from the British Library's Electronic Theses Online Service (EThOS). We will not make requests for theses already available on the EThOS site. You can still submit Inter-Library Requests for international and Masters theses.
We also supply photocopies and lend items to other libraries.
Access to and continued use of this service is at the discretion of your Faculty Librarians.