CoronavirusStudent information & FAQs

Latest updates

Read more of our student updates.

Frequently asked questions

General FAQs

Security Services and Switchboard

Yes, Security Services are available 24/7 and can be contacted on 0141 548 3333 (general enquiries) or 0141 548 2222 (emergencies).

The University switchboard is closed at the moment. Calls to the switchboard will be directed to Security Services who can help if you require urgent assistance. Students calling to speak to staff in residences or to report a fault or repair in their accommodation should email


Some of our students and staff may wish to respond to the NHS Scotland call for volunteers to assist the NHS and vulnerable members of the community at this time of national crisis.

Students are encouraged to Volunteer with Strathclyde while while Strath Union offers a variety of different opportunities that students can fit around their University schedule. The Careers Services provides a range of helpful information for students wishing to participate in voluntary work opportunities, including links to Volunteer Scotland and Volunteer Glasgow and the employment rights of volunteers in the UK. You may also find the UK Government website useful.

If you are a student studying for a qualification accredited by a professional body, you must speak to your department to ensure that you can get the requisite support in place to engage in the remainder of your studies and your assessment without detriment, should you choose to volunteer. They will also check what arrangements are in place to ensure your health and safety while volunteering.

Visas & immigration

If you have a Tier 4 visa and you are planning to return home, please note the following advice:

  • If you are currently in the process of having your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)_ corrected and have not yet received your new BRP, you are advised NOT to travel until this has been issued. If you attempt to re-enter the UK on your old BRP you may be refused entry
  • If you have submitted a visa extension application and have not yet received your new visa, you are advised NOT to travel until your new visa has been issued. If you leave the UK before the extension is granted, your application will be automatically cancelled by UKVI
  • If you have queries relating to possible limitations on travelling between the UK and your home country, please check information from your home embassy and UK Government information
  • If your visa is due to expire as you were intending to return home, you can find more information on the government website
  • You can also find out more information from UKCISA
  • UKVI Have allowed us to continue sponsoring Tier 4 students whether you remain in the UK or return home. Your Tier 4 visa will not be affected as long as you continue to engage with your course through MyPlace and any other arrangements agreed with your department.  Your department will continue to record your engagement with your studies on the engagement and monitoring system
  • You must ensure your address on Pegasus is up to date with your current location and inform your department, if you have not already done so, where you are
  • If you have left the UK, you can continue with your studies overseas for the period that the University is closed or when you are able to travel again, there is no limit of 60 days as long as you continue to engage with your studies
  • If you do decide to defer your studies, you must apply for voluntary suspension and in that situation we are required to withdraw our sponsorship of your visa

If you are a Tier 4 student and need to be absent due to illness or self-isolation please inform your department.

From 8 June, additional rules have been in place for entering the UK because of coronavirus (COVID-19). The rules are for residents and visitors.

When you travel to the UK you will:

  • need to provide your journey and contact details when you travel to the UK
  • not be allowed to leave the place you’re staying for the first 14 days you’re in the UK (known as ‘self-isolating’). There are some exemptions to this requirement depending on where you are travelling from, any transit stops you make, and also your point of arrival in the UK.

Before travelling you must complete an online form which will is available, along with further guidance including exemptions to the self-isolation requirements, on the UK Government website.

Dignity & respect

We’re committed to ensuring our University environment, both online and on-campus, is a warm and welcoming place where everyone feels safe and included.

We understand that the coronavirus outbreak is causing concern amongst our community and we wish to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and adhering to all government advice in relation to it. 

We want to ensure that all our students feel safe, supported and valued and that they are treated with dignity and respect. If you have experienced or are aware of any inappropriate behaviour, verbal or physical harassment against our students please notify us using Report & Support.

Mental health & wellbeing support

The University recognises that the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak will affect each of us in different ways and will present personal and health challenges to many. It can be normal to feel overwhelmed and anxious in this difficult situation.

The Disability & Wellbeing Service has collated a range of resources to help you support and maintain your own wellbeing during these times. Staff within the Service are also available to speak to students and offer support.