Strathclyde Engineering Scholars is a programme which aims to positively impact the diversity of young people studying engineering at university. Ultimately, this will help ensure that the engineering profession is representative of the diversity that exists in society.
The Strathclyde Engineering Scholars programme supports young people from underrepresented groups to:
- access a university engineering education
- succeed at university
- develop the confidence, skills and knowledge for a successful career as a professional engineer
Strathclyde Engineering Scholars is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering Diversity Impact Programme.
What are the benefits to successful applicants ?
Successful applicants will receive a personalised scholarship package of free support including:
- regular personal or small group academic tutoring and coaching
- mentoring from current students and professional engineers
- industry case studies, insights and events
- opportunity to attend relevant engineering outreach events
- upskilling through engineering micro-credential courses
- campus visits
- opportunity to register as a Young Strathclyder, use the sports facilities and the union
Who can apply ?
Anyone residing in Scotland with a genuine interest in studying engineering at university, and who meets the criteria below, can apply or be nominated to become a Strathclyde Scholar:
- senior school pupils who are sitting SQA Higher’s or Advanced Highers in 2024
- college students studying engineering and considering applying to university
- should hold or be sitting SQA Higher Maths and Physics or Engineering Science* or equivalent
*exceptionally applicants considering studying Architectural Studies or Product Design Innovation require Maths or Physics/Engineering Science
Successful applicants will meet at least one of the following criteria:
- reside in SIMD 0-40 area or rural area
- attend a school with low progression rates to university
- be eligible for free school meals or clothing allowance
- carer or care experienced
How can you apply?
We welcome applications from:
- young people applying for their own place
Nominations on behalf of the young person by:
- youth leaders
- extended family
Please let the young person know before you nominate them, you may complete the application with them.
The application deadline is 5pm on Friday 29 September
The final decision will be made and successful applicants informed in mid October.
Please note spaces are limited and will be considered in the order that applications are received.
For further enquiries please email email@example.com.