Library services in Lockdown (from 11 January)
From Tuesday 5 January, mainland Scotland moved from Covid Level 4 restrictions to a temporary Lockdown, with new guidance to stay at home except for essential purposes.
- The Library has been open since 4 January, and during this period and throughout lockdown browsing of bookshelves by customers is not permitted.
- From 11 January, the Library will revert to opening Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm and will be closed at weekends.
- In addition we will also temporarily withdraw the click and collect service until further data becomes available on the new COVID variants and in which ways they are more transmissible.
- Library enquiry and IT support services will revert to providing remote support as was the case during the initial lockdown in spring and summer 2020.
We are taking these steps to protect staff and students and may introduce additional safety measures or restrictions informed by an assessment of the increased risks associated with the new variants of the virus.
COVID–19: Important rule changes
In line with Scottish Government and University guidance enhanced safety measures are in place.
- Do not enter the Library building if you’re showing any symptoms of COVID-19.
- You must wear a face covering at all times once inside the Library building, except where an exemption applies (as defined in the legislation).
- For the time being there will be no food allowed in any part of the Library. Drinks are still permitted, in containers with lids.
- We may be required to release Library entry and exit data in support of NHS Scotland's Test & Protect service.
- We are opening the Library to support solo working.
- For the time being there are no group study facilities. Please continue to use collaboration tools (such as Zoom) for group work.
- The Library should not be considered as a social space and peer to peer support cannot be facilitated.
- There is no access to the physical Library Collection
Keep checking our webpages and Twitter account for the latest updates.
We’re looking forward to seeing you in the Library again soon.
Semester opening times
From 11 January until further notice, the Library building is open from 09:00 to 17:00 Monday – Friday and closed at weekends.
We are open on Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 January from 9am until 5pm
Archives & Special Collections Reading Room
The Archives & Special Collections Reading Room is currently open by appointment only. Contact Archives & Special Collections to make an appointment.
If you are studying towards the end of the day, you may hear our closing bells.
We ring the closing bells:
- Twice approximately 30 minutes before closing
- Twice approximately 20 minutes before closing
- Three times ten minutes before closing
Sometimes, if the Library is very busy, we may ring the bells again just before closing. Please make sure you begin to pack up your things and make your way out of the Library at least ten minutes before we are due to close. This helps our staff make sure the building is securely closed on time.
Click & Collect and Freepost returns
We are currently offering a freepost book return service.
As of 11 January, the click-and-collect service for print materials is temporarily suspended.
Items currently on loan
The Library building re-opened on Monday 24 August. Any items you have at home will continue to renew automatically unless another customer requests them. Remember to check your University email regularly for updates about your Library account.
We have waived all outstanding fines, except fines for lost items. If you have any questions about this please contact us using the following details.
Help and suport
Our staff are working remotely to provide the University community with quality help and support. During this time, please contact us by email in the first instance:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (for academic staff and students)
- email@example.com (for professional services staff)
- TIC-IThelpdesk@strath.ac.uk (for TIC users: staff and students)
COVID-19 lockdown: our performance
We have produced an infographic detailing Library and IT performance during COVID-19 lockdown.
How we can help you while you're working off-campus
We've made two videos listing some of the ways we can help you while you're studying or working off-campus. You can watch them on our YouTube channel.
Contact the Library
Please contact us if you'd like to check our opening hours before travelling to campus.