Grant Allan is a Reader in the Department of Economics. He joined the University in 2002, initially as a Research Assistant in the Fraser of Allander Institute.
Grant's research interests in applied multisectoral economic analysis and modelling, particularly in the areas of environment, energy and tourism.
He is very willing to supervise suitably qualified PhD students in his fields of interest.
He is Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes for the Department of Economics and also Director of MSc in Applied Economics (full and part-time), MSc in Applied Economics by distance learning and MSc in Economics and Finance.
Grant currently teaches classes in economic modelling and energy economics at the postgraduate level, as well as supervising PhD and MSc students in these areas. He also leads modules in energy economics in the DTC in Wind and Marine Energy Systems and Structures and the Industrial Doctorate Centre in Offshore Renewable Energy.
You'll find more details about my research, teaching and other activities on my personal webpage.
Grant is currently Director of MSc in Applied Economics and MSc in Economics and Finance, as well as the Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes for the Department of Economics.
He currently teaches classes in Economic Appraisal and Modelling (MSc), Energy Economics (MSc); and on courses in the Wind and Marine Energy Systems and Structures Centre of Doctoral Training and the Industrial Doctoral Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy (IDCORE).
He supervises undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as PhD students in areas of his research interests.
My main research interests relate to:
- Energy-economy-environmental modelling;
- Applied multisectoral economic analysis.
- UKERC workshop on the impact of non-energy policies on the energy system
- Better Metrics for More Effective Decision-making: The Need for a Regionally based Global Environmental Measurement and Monitoring Network
- Some reflections from the past: the Glasgow 2014 CWG
- Resilience of the Scottish economy to COVID-19 related changes in tourism demand
- Impact and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic on the Scottish tourism industry: a computable general equilibrium analysis
- Fraser of Allander - Tourism Modelling workshop
More professional activities
- EPSRC IAA Bridging the Gap
- Owens, Steven Robert (Principal Investigator) McGrane, Scott (Co-investigator) Allan, Grant (Co-investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator)
- EPSRC Impact Accelerator Account funded Bridging the Gap project, awarded jointly with Dr Steven Owens, Professor Malcolm MacDonald and Dr Grant Allan to investigate connecting environmental remote observation data with socioeconomic data to inventory opportunities for project creation and data access options
- 01-Jan-2022 - 01-Jan-2023
- The sectoral economic impacts of COVID-19 on the tourism economy: a regional analysis focussed on Scotland
- Allan, Grant (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Connolly, Kevin (Researcher) Maurya, Aditya (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2022
- XROTOR (H2020 LC SC3) X-Shaped Radical Offshore Wind Turbine For Overall Cost Of Energy Reduction'
- Leithead, Bill (Principal Investigator) Allan, Grant (Co-investigator) Anaya-Lara, Olimpo (Co-investigator) Carroll, James (Co-investigator) Jamieson, Peter (Co-investigator) Stock, Adam (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2023
- The macroeconomic impact of Fraunhofer
- Allan, Grant (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Roy, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 04-Jan-2020 - 25-Jan-2021
- Jobs supported by Exports - Dept of Int Trade
- Roy, Graeme (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Allan, Grant (Co-investigator) Black, James (Co-investigator) Cooper, Benjamin (Co-investigator) Findlay, Patricia (Co-investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2020
- Vietnam CGE Project
- Allan, Grant (Principal Investigator)
- 04-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2019