I joined the Department in June 2014 as Chancellor's Fellow. My research and teaching experience both focus on the study of changes in work and employment. I am interested in critically investigating the management of the Employment Relationship, new technologies at work, and the organisation of innovation.
My teaching covers a broad range of HRM relevant subject areas. I am convinced that engaged teaching needs to be research-led. Our Department is an excellent place to follow this approach. It allows our students to learn the core theories and to apply them to the moist recent, cutting-edge, innovative case study material.
My core areas are:
- Sociology of Work
- Labour Process Theory
- HRM and Public Sector
- (International) Employee Relations
- Surveillance Studies
My reserach interests are in the broad area of changing work and employment structures. Over the last years, I did research the impact of the implementation of New Public Management on public servants in different nations and sectors (police, waste collection, energy). More recently, I started to investigate in the effects robotics-led workplaces will have on job quality. I am also interested in reseraching trade unions, particularly in terms of their representational and oragnisational capacities. My reserach relies on inter-disciplinary as well as international collaborations.
- Securing the supply chain – conceptualizing commodified security within logistics.
- Third ISA Forum of Sociology
- Challenges for Public Sector Employees in an Increasingly Demanding Work Environment, June 6-7th 2016, The Hague, Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs
- Conceptualising Labour 'Unfreedom' and Degradation Along the Supply Chain
- International Labour Process Conference 2016
- International Labour Process Conference
more professional activities
- Work, Employment and Employment Law in Retail Fulfilment Centres - UK and India
- Taylor, Philip (Principal Investigator) Briken, Kendra (Co-investigator) Busby, Nicole (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2016 - 31-Dec-2018
- Employment, Work and Working Conditions in Retail Fulfilment Centres in the UK
- Taylor, Philip (Principal Investigator) Briken, Kendra (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Jan-2015 - 31-Dec-2017
Human Resource Management
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map