My main focus is the role that energy systems simulation can play in helping to reduce energy demand, accelerate the take-up of renewable energy technologies, mitigate environmental impacts and improve human well-being. A major aspect of my work involves the development and dissemination of software tools for energy systems simulation, and support for the application of these tools in design, research, teaching and policy-making contexts. I am the progenitor of the ESP-r building simulation program, which is deployed worldwide, and founder member and past President of the International Building Performance Simulation Association, which promotes the technology worldwide.
- Low temperature heat network study
- Housing retrofit effectiveness study
- Demand Mapping study for Glasgow
more professional activities
- HES Studentiship Contribution
- Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Principal Investigator) Hamilton, Andrea (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2021
- KTP - arbnco
- Costola, Daniel (Principal Investigator) Allison, John (Co-investigator) Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2018 - 02-Jan-2020
- Designing a factory for energy renovations - Indu-Zero
- Yan, Xiu (Principal Investigator) Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Co-investigator) McMahon, Daniel (Co-investigator)
- The problem
The North Sea Region (NSR) contains 22 million houses built in 1950-1985 that are causing 79 Mton CO2 of emissions annually. Current home renovations are being carried out on a limited-scale and many are not to nZEB standard, with three consequences:
The pace of renovations is too low.
Renovation costs are too high.
Properties not renovated to nZEB standard will continue emitting CO2, and reduce the time frame for a large uptake of deep retrofits.
So, the targets of the Climate Agreement to achieve near zero energy (nZEB) for all buildings by 2050 will not be attained if we continue with current means.
The solution with INDU-ZERO
Mass uptake of home renovations towards energy-neutral in the NSR is needed to meet EU energy and climate targets. The building sector in Europe is not creating the necessary production facilities. INDU-ZERO’s solution is to design a factory blueprint, based on Smart Industry and Circular Economy, with capacity to manufacture renovation packages suitable for all NSR countries, at a high volume (15.000 renovation packages/factory/year) and at 50% lower cost.
This blueprint, together with INDU-ZERO’s project adoption activities, will lead investors, building materials groups, housing owner associations, municipalities, governments and public authorities to bring about initiatives that will result in the needed factory developments. These factories, and the 50% cost reduction in renovation packages, will lead to a mass market uptake of home renovation packages towards energy-neutral and will ultimately reduce the environmental footprint of the NSR countries to meet EU energy and climate targets. So the project focuses on:
1. Redesigning and adapting existing renovation technology for next-generation Industry4 manufacturing.
2. Upscaling of renovation manufacturing such that the pace goes up and the costs go down.
3. Developing a blueprint for Smart Renovation Factory to manufacture the renovation packages. The blueprint will be available to all factory developers. The renovation packages will consist of an external insulated envelope, heat-recovery ventilation, renewable energy generation, and all will be recyclable (circular). The Smart Renovation Factory will have production capacity 15,000 house renovation packages per annum, and will achieve 50% reduction of renovation co
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2021
- BRE Lectureship
- Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Principal Investigator) Costola, Daniel (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- KTP - CO2 Estates
- Costola, Daniel (Principal Investigator) Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Co-investigator)
- 23-Jan-2017 - 22-Jan-2019
- Rotterdam, Umea and Glasgow: Generating Exemplar Districts in Sustainable Energy Deployment H2020: Ruggedised (Smart and Sustainable Cities)
- Clarke, Joseph Andrew (Principal Investigator) Bellingham, Richard (Co-investigator) Costola, Daniel (Co-investigator) Kelly, Nicolas (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2016 - 31-Jan-2021
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map