- Victorian Literature (co-ordinator, year 3 core class)
- The Private Self: Forms and Traditions of Life Writing (year 3 option)
- Victorian Gothic (year 4 option)
- Present-Day Victorians: Neo-Victorian Fiction and Film (year 4 option)
- I also contribute lectures to the 1st-year class, to the 2nd and 3rd-year core classes Enlightenment to Romanticism and Twentieth-Century Literature, and to the year 2 History class, Glasgow: History, Culture and Identity. I have previously led a year 2 class in Literary Theory.
I have been nominated for five Teaching Excellence Awards by Strathclyde Students’ Union.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Visions of Suburbia: Interdisciplinary Representations, 1850 - present (MLitt Literature, Culture and Place).
I also organise the postgraduate research skills class.
Postgraduate research supervision
I would welcome enquiries from potential research students wishing to work in any of the areas listed under ‘research interests’. Below is an indicative list of current and previous supervisions.
Miles Beard - 'The Fiction of Anita Brookner: Reception, Persona and Literary Value'. Funded by a Strathclyde Student Excellence Award.
Louise Logan - 'Beastly Encounters: human-animal relations in The Illustrated Police News and late Victorian and Edwardian culture’. Funded by an AHRC DTP studentship.
Innes McGarry - 'The Fiction of M. R. James'. Funded by an MRes Interdisciplinary Excellence Award.
Craig McLean - 'The Literary Architecture of Edwardian Suburbia'. Funded by a faculty studentship.
Roseannah Murphy - ‘The Literary Landscapes of Post-Industrial Glasgow: deindustrialisation, cultural policy and the postindustrial novel’. Funded by an AHRC studentship.
David Rush - ‘Glamour, Politics and Personality in the Mid-Century Middlebrow: the fiction of Nancy Mitford’. Funded by a faculty studentship.
Souhir Zekri - 'Myth and Life Writing in the Fiction of Marina Warner'. Funded by a British Council studentship.
I am a literary critic and cultural historian. My principal areas of research interest are neo-Edwardian and Edwardian literature and culture, life writing, and the architectural humanities, from the later nineteenth century until the present.
Within, and between, these areas, I have worked on topics including women's diaries; neo-Victorianism; literary adaptation to film and television; Italian-Glaswegian cultures; Victorian and Edwardian spiritualism; a British Academy-funded conference, Architexture: Textual and Architectural Spaces, with the Department of Architecture; an ESRC seminar series, Nostalgia in the 21st Century, with the Department of Marketing.
I am currently writing a monograph on neo-Edwardianism, and commencing a new project on the life and work of the historian and educationalist Dorothy M. Meads (supported by a Carnegie Research Incentive Grant). I am also preparing the essay on D. H. Lawrence and architecture for Catherine Brown and Sue Reid (eds.), The Edinburgh Companion to D. H. Lawrence and the Arts (Edinburgh University Press, 2020).
- Symposium on D H Lawrence
- Victorian Studies (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- MLitt in Victorian Studies, University of Glasgow
- CARNEGIE TRUST FOR THE (External organisation)
- Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (External organisation)
- UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH (External organisation)
more professional activities
- AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership Scotland
- Edwards, Sarah (Principal Investigator) Fudge, Erica (Principal Investigator) Logan, Louise (Post Grad Student)
- PhD studentship - 3 years - 2015-18
- 01-Jan-2015 - 30-Jan-2018
- Diarist, Grocers and Teachers.The Many Lives of Dorothy Meads: Writing Early Twentieth-Century Women's Histories
- Edwards, Sarah (Principal Investigator)
- 30-Jan-2015 - 31-Jan-2015
- City of Facades
- Edwards, Sarah (Principal Investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Principal Investigator) Charley, Jonathan (Principal Investigator)
- One-day workshop on pilot project to be held in 2013 on Glasgow and urban nostalgia with colleagues from Architecture and Marketing
- 19-Jan-2012 - 30-Jan-2013
- Glasgow school days remembered
- Edwards, Sarah (Principal Investigator) Hamilton, Kathy (Co-investigator) Hammill, Faye (Co-investigator) Wagner, Beverly (Co-investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Co-investigator)
- 29-Jan-2011 - 05-Jan-2011
- Competition Doctoral 2010 Grant | Murphy, Roseannah
- Bell, Eleanor (Principal Investigator) Edwards, Sarah (Co-investigator) Murphy, Roseannah (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2010 - 20-Jan-2018
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2010
- Edwards, Sarah (Principal Investigator) Hammill, Faye (Co-investigator) Hamilton, Kathy (Co-investigator) Wagner, Beverly (Co-investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Co-investigator)
- A creative writing competition and exhibition in association with the Mitchell Library, the Aye Write! literary festival and the ESRC (awarded £1200).
- 13-Jan-2010 - 13-Jan-2010
Lord Hope Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map