Dr Agustí Egea-Àlvarez is a Senior Lecturer at the electronic & electrical engineering department and member of the PEDEC (Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Conversion) group. Also, he is holder of a Royal Academy of Engineering Industrial Fellowship with ScottishPower.
He obtained his BSc, MSc and PhD from the Technical University of Catalonia in Barcelona in 2008, 2010 and 2014 respectively. In 2015 he was a Marie Curie fellow in the China Electric Power Research Institute (CEPRI). In 2016 he joined Siemens Gamesa as converter control engineer working on grid forming controllers and alternative HVDC schemes for offshore wind farms. He is a member of IEEE, IET and has been involved in several CIGRE working groups.
His current research interests are:
- Grid forming and Virtual Synchronous Machine converter control algorithms.
- Control of Voltage Source Converters to weak grids and low inertia systems.
- Alternative HVDC connection schemes for offshore wind farm.
- Control and operation of DC-DC converters for HVDC systems.
- CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- Demystifying grid forming converters: challenges and opportunities of a new converter control technology
- Demystifying grid forming converters challenges and opportunities of a new converter control technology
- Power Electronics: The silent technology adding flexibility to the network
- Energies (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- 9th IEEE International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA) 2020
More professional activities
- Introduction to Power Electronics and Electric Machines
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator) McNeill, Neville (Co-investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- 26-Jan-2023 - 10-Jan-2023
- SIF Black start Demonstrator from offshore wind (SIF BLADE)
- Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Principal Investigator) Ahmed, Khaled (Co-investigator) Dysko, Adam (Co-investigator) Tzelepis, Dimitrios (Co-investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2023 - 30-Jan-2023
- Superconducting Direct Current for a Decarbonised 2050 Grid: PDRA 3
- Xu, Lie (Principal Investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator) Yuan, Weijia (Co-investigator) Chen, Yin (Research Co-investigator)
- Linked to 180100 for overarching agreement
- 07-Jan-2022 - 06-Jan-2023
- HVDC-based grid architectures for reliable and resilient WIdeSprEad hybrid AC/DC transmission systems
- Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Principal Investigator) Ahmed, Khaled (Co-investigator) Bell, Keith (Co-investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2026
- Distributed multiport converters for integration of renewables, storage systems and loads while enhancing performance and resiliency of modern distributed networks (iPLUG)
- Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Principal Investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2025
- SSE-Protection-Field Trial
- Hong, Qiteng (Principal Investigator) Booth, Campbell (Co-investigator) Dysko, Adam (Co-investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator) Tzelepis, Dimitrios (Co-investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- Extension/Additional Funding associated with RKES 210195
- 12-Jan-2021 - 28-Jan-2025
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map