I am a lecturer in chemistry education, with teaching and supervision responsibilities on the PGDE chemistry. I also contribute to the teaching on BA routes and MA programme, as well as supervising reserach students from BA through to PhD routes. I moved to Starthclyde University from Brunel University London. Prior to that I had been an Initial Teacher Education tutor at Keele University (Staffordshire).
I taught science in schools in various parts of England before moving to Higher Education and retain a keen interest in all aspects of school science.
My major professional interests, outside teacher education and educational research, are science outreach and inclusive science education.
Prizes and awards
- Winner of the Royal Society of Chemistry: Inclusion and Diversity Award
- RSC committee Innovation award
- Winner of the Herald Global Game Changers Award
- Shortlisted for STEMnet ambassador of the year
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Outreach Academic of the Year
more prizes and awards
2001- 2005 Open University Doctorate in Education, Can mentoring raise attainment in Science?
1997-2000 Open University Master of Arts (Education)
1985-1986 Univ. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne Post Graduate Certificate in Education
1982-1985 Univ. of London Bachelor of Science (Hons), Toxicology and Pharmacology
My research interests cluster around science education, specifically the impact of science outreach and inclusive science teaching. Related research areas include the preparation of teachers for inclusive practice.
- Chemical Education Research Network North 19
- Reviewer for Teaching and Teacher Education
- National Qualifications Support Team
- Taste, one of the Glasgow Science Centre's series of 'lates'
- Chemical Education Research Network North
- Inclusive Salters' Institute Chemistry Festival
more professional activities
- Towards a better understanding of the barriers and opportunities for children with learning difficulties in the chemistry classroom
- Essex, Jane (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
Lord Hope Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map