Area of Expertise
Economic modelling, with a primary focus on Computable General Equilibrium
Energy and environmental economic modelling
Regional trade modelling
2013 MSc in Applied Economics, University of Strathclyde, awarded with distinction
2017 PhD in Economics, University of Strathclyde, awarded with no corrections, Supervisors Professor Karen Turner, Professor Peter McGregor, External Pablo Arocena, Universidad de Navarra. Thesis title "Evaluating the impact of pro environment policies: the case of energy efficiency in the UK and Scotland"
- Resilience in a behavioural/Keynesian regional model
- Allan Grant, Figus Gioele, McGregor Peter G, Swales J Kim
- Environment and Planning A Vol 53, pp. 858-876 (2021)
- Do sticky energy prices impact the time paths of rebound effects associated with energy efficiency actions?
- Figus Gioele, McGregor Peter G, Swales J Kim, Turner Karen
- Energy Economics Vol 86 (2020)
- The impact of the new Northern Ireland protocol : can Northern Ireland enjoy the best of both worlds?
- Duparc-Portier Geoffroy, Figus Gioele
- Regional Studies, pp. 1-14 (2021)
- What are the economic implications of the Windsor Framework?
- Duparc-Portier Geoffroy, Figus Gioele, Roy Graeme
- The Sectoral Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on the Tourism Economy : a Regional Analysis Focused on Scotland
- Allan Grant, Connolly Kevin, Figus Gioele, Maurya Aditya, Williamson Jack
- Trade-offs : understanding future trade options for Scotland
- Figus Gioele, McGregor Peter, McIntyre Stuart, Roy Graeme
- National Institute Economic Review Vol 260, pp. 26-39 (2023)
Gioele leads teaching on Economic Appraisal and Modelling in the MSc in Applied Economics, Energy Industries and Markets and Environmental Economics in the MSc in Economics & Policy of Energy and Climate Change and contributes to Economic Policy for the Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics. In addition, he leads a class on Economic Modelling for the Centre for Doctoral Training in Applied Economics.
Gioele is interested in regional economics and economics of energy and climate change. He has focussed on issues related to the economic consequences of energy efficiency and their ramifications in different parts of the economy. From a regional perspective, he focusses on regional and international trade of regions and on the economic consequences of regional environmental policies.
- 29th International Input Output Association Conference
- Economic consequences of climatic changes in crop yields in water-abundant regions
- Scottish Trade Policy Forum
- Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy Academic Conference
- Meeting with Scottish Government
- COVID and beyond for tourism industry in Scotland: the economic and policy perspectives
- The sectoral economic impacts of COVID-19 on the tourism economy: a regional analysis focussed on Scotland
- Allan, Grant (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Connolly, Kevin (Researcher) Maurya, Aditya (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2022
- Trade in Northern Ireland: Characteristics of businesses and workers
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Black, James (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2023 - 30-Jan-2023
- Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) McGregor, Peter (Co-investigator) Roy, Graeme (Co-investigator) Wooton, Ian (Co-investigator) Black, James (Researcher) Maurya, Aditya (Researcher)
- 06-Jan-2022 - 05-Jan-2027
- The macroeconomic impact of Fraunhofer
- Allan, Grant (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Roy, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 04-Jan-2020 - 25-Jan-2021
- Feasibility Study on Trade Modelling for Scotland
- Roy, Graeme (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Co-investigator) Borbely, Daniel (Co-investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Wooton, Ian (Co-investigator)
- 28-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2019
- Modelling the Distribution of Costs from Network Upgrades for Electric Vehicles (EVs)
- Turner, Karen (Principal Investigator) Alabi, Oluwafisayo Titilope (Co-investigator) Calvillo Munoz, Christian (Co-investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Katris, Antonios (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2019