Laboratory webpage is here http://paulhoskisson.weebly.com
Research in my group is focussed on the synthesis of antibiotics and the evolution of bacterial pathogens, using a range of techniques from molecular biology and biochemistry through to mathematical modelling and image analysis. The bacterial genus Streptomyces is the main focus of work in my Research Group due to its industrial importance, being responsible for producing around two thirds of all commercially important antibiotics as well as numerous anti-fungal, anti-helminthic and anti-cancer drugs.
We also have an interest in evolution of metabolism, evolution of bacterial pathogens, genomics of actinobacteria and the exploitation of amphibian proteins for biotechnology.
We use a range of techniques to study the biology of actinobacteria including molecular genetics, protein biochemistry, genomics, microscopy, physiology, advanced spectroscopy, mathematical modeling and bioinformatics.
I was elected as a member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Young Academy of Scotland in 2014 and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology (FRSB) in 2016.
I am a member of the Microbiology Society, the American Society of Microbiology, the Biochemical Society, The Royal Society of Biology and British Herpetological Society.
I am a managing editor for Antonie van Leeuwenhoek International Journal of Microbiology, and sit on the editorial board for Microbial Genomics, Frontiers in Antimicrobials, resistance and chemotherapy, Frontiers in Microbial Physiology and Metabolism, Frontiers in Synthetic Biology and Metabolism and Nature Scientific Data and Nature Scientific Reports.I am a former Editor in Chief of Microbiology Today.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am interested in the use of Social media for communication of science and you can follow on Twitter @paulhoskisson
- Royal Society of Biology (External organisation)
- BBSRC (Biotech & Biological Sciences Research Council) (External organisation)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh (External organisation)
- Scientific Data (Journal)
- Society for General Microbiology
- Society for General Microbiology
more professional activities
- Microplate - shrinking culture plates onto a microchip for a rapid antibiotic susceptibility test
- Corrigan, Damion (Principal Investigator) Hoskisson, Paul (Co-investigator) Shu, Will (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Sep-2017 - 31-Aug-2018
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Medical Devices and Health Technologies | Vezza, Vincent James
- Corrigan, Damion (Principal Investigator) Hoskisson, Paul (Co-investigator) Vezza, Vincent James (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2016 - 01-Oct-2020
- Microfluidic manufacturing and development of a novel clostridium difficile oral vaccine | Forbes, Neil Liam Andrew
- Perrie, Yvonne (Principal Investigator) Hoskisson, Paul (Co-investigator) Forbes, Neil Liam Andrew (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2016 - 01-Oct-2019
- Establishing an integrated biocatalytic Friedel-Crafts platform for the alkylation of aromatic small molecules | McKean, Iain
- Burley, Glenn (Principal Investigator) Hoskisson, Paul (Co-investigator) McKean, Iain (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2015 - 01-Oct-2019
- David Begg Studentship | Brozio, Sarah
- Hoskisson, Paul (Principal Investigator) Brozio, Sarah (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2014 - 01-Apr-2018
- Assessing the biotechnological potential of Antarctic and sub Arctic sediment cores (MASTS funding)
- Duncan, Katherine (Principal Investigator) Hoskisson, Paul (Co-investigator)
- Period 05-Dec-2016 - 11-Aug-2017
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
Hamnett Wing John Arbuthnott Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map