I am EPSRC Fellow, Chancellor’s Fellow and Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) leading the Smart Materials Research and Device Technology (SMaRDT) Group at Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry, University of Strathclyde. I am Strathclyde's Energy Sub-Theme (Photovoltaics) coordinator. I am one of the founding PI of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Sustainable Practices of Research in Energy (C-INSPRE) , a new and innovative interdisciplinary Strathclyde Centre for Doctoral Training (SCDT) that links all four faculties of the University of Strathclyde. C-INSPRE is Strathclyde's first 'Energy CDT'.
I have made important scientific and technological contributions – for example, switchable coatings for energy saving windows, materials and devices for sensing technologies, solar energy conversion, solar photocatalyst and dye-sensitised electrochromic devices. Over the last years my main research focus has been in the development of novel materials and devices for solar energy conversion especially the emerging new PV technologies (Spectral conversion, Dye sensitised and Perovskite solar cells). Recently, I have been awarded the EPSRC Fellowship (funding of ~ £1.1 Million) to develop the challenging field of Elastic Perovskite PV research in the UK.
The principal research interests of my (SMaRDT) group lie in the synthesis of nanomaterials, development, fabrication and optimisation of devices based on them for energy, environment and healthcare sectors. Please see under the Research (Research Interests) section for further details.
If you are an outstanding and enthusiastic individual interested in PhD/Post-doc or in short term (e.g ERASMUS, Commonwealth etc) projects in the SMaRDT group to contribute to the challenging sectors mentioned under the Research Areas (and key words) then please send in your CV.
Smart Materials Research and Device Technology (SMaRDT) Group is presently working on multidisciplinary projects in the following sectors:
a) Energy (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, EPSRC funded project): Elastic Perovskite Solar Cells, in collaborations with industry (Shadow Robots, G24 Power, NSG Pilkington and Dupont Teijin Films) and academia [University of Edinburgh, Oxford University and Johannes Kepler University]
b) Environment (UK-India Education and Research Initiative, UKIERI funded project): Biosorbants and Photocatalysts for Waste Water Remediation in collaboration with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati, India and Waste Water Treatment Plant IIT Guwahati.
c) Healthcare (Royal Academy of Engineering, RAE funded project): Wearable Glucose Sensors in collaboration with Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Science Malaysia and University of Namibia and University Hospital at University of Sciences Malaysia.
If you are an outstanding and enthusiastic individual interested in PhD/Post-doc in the SMaRDT group to contribute to these challenging sectors (and Research Areas mentioned) then please send in your CV and publications.
Dr. Aruna Ivaturi has strong track record of getting funding via fellowships. If you are interested in applying for a fellowship (doctoral/postdoctoral) to work in SMaRDT group, then please drop an email. Information about the various postdoc fellowship opportunities can be found via following links:
- “Emergence of a new-era of near-UV indoor light Harvesting” - Black Light Harvesting Perovskite Solar Cells
- Invited speaker
- Climate Education (Fresk) Workshop for EACU Scotland Conference 2023
- Tapping the Invisible - Upconversion for enhancing the IR response of Bifacial Si Solar Cells
- Keynote speaker
- Climate Education workshop
- Smart Materials Research and Device Technology (SMaRDT) Group's Energy Research towards Net Zero
- Facilitation of Climate Fresk workshop for 2YR UG course in PAC
More professional activities
- Engineering equity in STEM employment
- Essex, Jane (Principal Investigator) Hendry, Martyn (Principal Investigator) Cunningham, Margaret Rose (Principal Investigator) Ivaturi, Aruna (Principal Investigator) Wang, Yirui (Principal Investigator) McQuilken, Natasha (Principal Investigator)
- The project considered how to enhance the sustainability and resilience of the STEM workforce in the twenty-first century. The opportunity to engage in meaningful work enhances individual health and well-being, as well as enhancing social cohesion and economic prosperity. Specifically, the project considered how technical expertise in industry and academia can be shared with people who are hugely under-represented in the STEM workforce despite their evident capabilities and interest in STEM. The scheme builds upon a highly successful STEM for sustainability summer school that ran last summer and will involve researchers who attended last year, along with others who expressed an interest in joining the project, plus pupils from South Ayrshire schools who have ASN. In addition, the scheme involved regional STEM employers, giving them a chance to develop their understanding of the capacities of diverse young people and their potential to contribute positively to their organisations.
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2023
- Sustainable impact by design: a pilot study of effective STEM dissemination for hard-to-reach audiences
- Gonzalez-Longo, Cristina (Co-investigator) Essex, Jane (Principal Investigator) Hendry, Martyn (Co-investigator) Cunningham, Margaret Rose (Co-investigator) Giovelli, Noemi (Post Grad Student) Ivaturi, Aruna (Co-investigator) Li, Rui (Co-investigator) Maddock, Christie (Co-investigator) Somorin, Tosin (Co-investigator) Yue, Hong (Co-investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator)
- STEM Equals + RKES funded project
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2023
- Visible light photocatalysis for remediation of crude oil contaminated water
- Ivaturi, Aruna (Principal Investigator) OGOH-ORCH, Blessing (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2021
- Printable Supercapacitors from Biomass Feedstock
- Ivaturi, Aruna (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2021
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Nicholson, Stefan
- Ivaturi, Aruna (Principal Investigator) Martin, Robert (Co-investigator) Nicholson, Stefan (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2024
- Photocatalytic treatment of crude oil contaminants in water
- Ivaturi, Aruna (Principal Investigator) OGOH-ORCH, Blessing (Post Grad Student)
- Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Scholarship £69,050.0
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2023
Pure and Applied Chemistry
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map