Markus Klein is a Senior Lecturer in Human Development and Education Policy in the School of Education. He previously was a research fellow for the Applied Quantitative Methods Network (AQMeN) at the University of Edinburgh (2013-2015) and, in 2013, completed his Ph.D. in Sociology at the University of Mannheim. He is a Life Course Research Affiliate at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Children and Families over the Life Course, University of Queensland.
Using quantitative methods and secondary data analysis, his research deals with the mechanisms for social inequality across the life course.
Together with Dr Edward Sosu (Strathclyde) he recently commenced an ESRC funded research into the role of school absenteeism in the poverty-attainment gap.
He is the Course Leader for the MEd Education Studies (part-time).
For more information see his webpage.
He supervises in the areas of educational inequality, social mobility, education policy, returns to education, comparative research and child development.
- School absenteeism and educational attainment: Is missing-out on school more detrimental to students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds?
- Who is Missing Out on School? Exploring Socioeconomic Inequalities in School Absenteeism
- Who is Missing Out on School? The Role of School Absenteeism in the Poverty Related Attainment Gap
- Institutional prestige, social origin and UK graduates’ career trajectories
- Direct and Indirect Effects of Grandparent Education on Grandchildren’s Cognitive Development: A Prospective Mediation Analysis
- The social stratification of early TV consumption and children’s cognitive, language and behavioural development
more professional activities
- Family background and educational attainment: An investigation into the mediating role of school absenteeism
- Klein, Markus (Principal Investigator) Sosu, Edward (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Nurturing School Ethos to Improve Educational Attainment
- Cassidy, Claire (Principal Investigator) Holmes, Joanna (Co-investigator) Klein, Markus (Co-investigator) Sosu, Edward (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2019
- School and University Research Enquiry
- Sosu, Edward (Co-investigator) Firth, Jonathan William (Co-investigator) Beck, Anna (Co-investigator) Klein, Markus (Co-investigator) Donohoe, Claire (Co-investigator) McGavigan, Hilary (Co-investigator) Martin, Phil (Co-investigator)
- The School and University Research Enquiry project (SURE) aims to bridge the gap between education research and practice. It will investigate the Scottish Attainment Challenge and the ‘what works’ agenda in terms of specific school interventions. In April 2017, the Scottish Government published their Research Strategy for Scottish Education, which stressed the need for a focus on “increasing the levels of collaboration and communication between all actors within the education system". SURE is contributing to this goal via a school-university collaborative study exploring Headteachers’ relationship with
research and gaining an understanding of their choices of interventions employed in their schools, with reference to PEF funding. Researchers on the project represent two Glasgow schools as well as the University of Strathclyde.
Lord Hope Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map