My principal research interests lie in the field of human factors in maritime domain. I have investigated the effects of noise and vibration on human performance and developed a human response models for noise and vibration levels on-board ships. My research interests also include design, optimisation, operation of ships, by considering the human factors in the core of the subject.
Besides my main research area I have also been actively working in the area of ship recycling. For 8 years I have been working in this area and contributed development of tools, models and training tailored for the unique needs of ship recycling sector. I am also invoved in following EU funded ship recycling projects; FP7 DIVEST Project, LLP Ship DIGEST Project and LLP Boat DIGEST Project.
I am also actively attending IMO MSC and MEPC Meetings
Specialties: human factors, ship design, ship recycling, 3D modelling, statistical modelling and analysis
- Validation of HNC/HND in Nautical Science (Event)
- Markku Mylly
- SENTA 2016
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Guest Lecture on "Enhancing Maritime Safety through Addressing Human Factors"
- Article on Ship Recycling conditions in Ship Recycling yards in Alang published on DANWATCH Magazine
- Journal of ETA Maritime Science (Journal)
- Associate Editor
more professional activities
- Grant by the British Council Newton -RISTEKDIKTI Doctoral Scholarship in Maritime and Marine Science
- Kurt, Rafet (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Mar-2020
- BOAT DIGEST: The Boat Dismantling Insight by Generating Environmental and Safety Training; SU BUDGET: £53,000
- Turan, Osman (Principal Investigator) Kurt, Rafet (Co-investigator)
- The project aims to improve the HSE standards of recreational craft dismantling practices and address skill gaps, while at the same time raising the awareness of end of life responsibilities and options for recreational craft owners. It provide online Vocational Education and Training and Strathclyde University provides the training certificate for the attendees who completed the training module successfully.
- Period 01-Oct-2012 - 30-Sep-2014
- EU FP7 - SEAHORSE
- Turan, Osman (Principal Investigator) Boulougouris, Evangelos (Co-investigator) Kurt, Rafet (Co-investigator) Lazakis, Iraklis (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Nov-2013 - 31-Oct-2016
Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering
Henry Dyer Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map