I am Senior Lecturer in Philosophy of Education at Strathclyde University. I teach across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes within Education Studies. I am the course Leader for Joint Honours Education, and students on that programme are welcome to contact me at any time by email. My office is also on 2nd floor of Lord Hope and students are also welcome to come along to talk with me (best to make an appointment in case I am out).
My research interests include philosophy of education, philosophy of religion and philosophy of technology. I am author of Technology and the Philosophy of Religion (Cambridge Scholars 2011) and have co-edited (with Todd Mei) From Ricoeur to Action: the Socio-Political Significance of Ricoeur’s Thinking (Continuum 2012) and (with Alexandre Guilherme and Morgan White) New Perspectives in Philosophy of Education (Bloomsbury 2014) as well as numerous articles and chapters. I have recently published 'Educational Philosophy for a Post-secular Age' (Routledge, 2016).
- Technology and Christian Flourishing (2018-2020): https://www.christianflourishing.com/
- Co-edited book with Karsten Kenklies East Asian Pedagogies: Education As trans-/formation across cultures and borders (Springer 2019)
- Co-edited book with David Aldridge: 'Love and Desire in Education, A Special Issue of Journal of Philosophy of Education' (2019)
Other Recent Publications
- Article: Lewin, D. (2017) 'Who's Afraid of Secularisation:Reframing the debate between Gearon and Jackson' British Journal of Educational Studies.
- Article: Lewin, D. (2017) 'The Hermeneutics of Religious Understanding in a Postsecular Age' Ethics and Education.
- Article: Lewin, D. Bamber, P., White, M. (2017) '(Dis-) Locating the transformative dimension of global citizenship education' Journal of Curriculum Studies
- Introduction: Lewin, D., & Lundie, D., (2016) ‘Philosophies of digital pedagogy’ Studies in Philosophy and Education, 35:3, 235-240.
- Article: Lewin, D., (2016) ‘The Pharmakon of Educational Technology: The Disruptive Power of Attention in Education’ Studies in Philosophy and Education, 35:3, 251-265.
- Article: Lewin, D., (2015) ‘Heidegger East and West: Philosophy as Educative Contemplation’ Journal of Philosophy of Education, 48:2, 221-239
- Article: Lewin, D., (2014) ‘What’s the Use of Ethical Philosophy? The Role of Ethical Theory in Special Educational Needs’ European Journal of Special Needs Education, pp. 29:4, 536-547
- Edited book: Lewin, D., Guilherme, A., and White, M., (2014) New Perspectives in Philosophy of Education: Ethics, Politics, Religion (Bloomsbury)
- Article: Lewin, D., (2014) ‘Behold: Silence and Attention in Education’ Journal of Philosophy of Education 48:3, pp. 355-369
- Article: Lewin, D., (2014), ‘The Leap of Learning’ Ethics and Education, 9:1, pp. 113-126
- Monograph: Lewin, D., (2011) Technology and the Philosophy of Religion (Newcastle Upon Tyne, Cambridge Scholars Press) – Paperback out in 2012
- Edited book: Lewin, D., and Mei, T., (eds.) (2012) From Ricoeur to Action: The Socio-Political Significance of Ricoeur’s Thinking (London: Continuum Press)
- Book Chapter: Lewin, D., (2013) ‘Technology’ Oxford Handbook in Theology and Modern European Thought, edited by George Pattison, Graham Ward and Nick Adams (Forthcoming: Oxford University Press).
- Article: Lewin, D., (2012) ‘Technology and the Good Life: Suggestions for a Theological Turn in the Philosophy of Technology’ Techne Vol. 15:2
- Article: Lewin, D., and Edwards, T., (2012) ‘Better than well-being: Education beyond humanism’ International Journal of Design and Innovation Research Vol. 7:1 (2012)
- Article: Lewin, D., (2011) ‘The Middle Voice in Eckhart and Modern Continental Philosophy’ Medieval Mystical Theology Vol. 20
Recent Reviews of my work
- Educational Philosophy for a Postsecular Age
- Author Interview: http://www.philosophy-of-education.org/publications/author-interview-david-lewin.html
- Mystical Theology and Continental Philosophy
- Forthcoming Talks:
- 'Education, Enhancement and the Pursuit of the Good' Delft University, Netherlands, November 2019
- Recent Talks:
- Nanjing Normal University, China, May 2018
- University of British Colombia, Canada, June 2018
- PES Chicago 2018
- PES Seattle 2017
- PESGB Oxford 2017
- Gregynog Conference, 24th-26th Jul 2017
- Winchester University, 28th Nov 2016
- Association of University Lecturers in Religious Education, 8th Oct 2016
- International Network of Philosophers of Education, Warsaw, Poland, 17th Aug 2016
- Philosophy of Education conference, Tilos, Greece, 3rd Jul 2016
- Christchurch University, Canterbury, 25th May 2016
- Leicester People's University, 14th May 2016
- Philosophy of Education, Toronto, Canada, Mar 2016
- Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain, Oxford, Apr 2016
- British Educational Research Association, Leeds, Sep 2016
- University of Liverpool: 1-3 Jul 2015, Silence: A Semiotics of (in)Significance. Title: Silence and Attention in Education
- Oxford University: 26th-29th Mar 2015. Philosophy of Education Conference (PESGB) Title: ‘Education without how: the paradoxes of educational and spiritual interventions’
- Cambridge University: 13th Nov 2014. Philosophy of Education Seminars. Title: ‘Humanising Online Pedagogy: technology, attention and education’
I welcome enquiries from potential doctoral students with interests in religion and education, secularism and secularisation, philosophical perspectives on pedagogy and technology