Charles MacLeod is a Chancellor's Fellow & Lecturer in the Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering. After being awarded a Masters in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with Distinction at Strathclyde, Charles then went on to undertake a PhD in Automated Non–Destructive Evaluation.
His research is primarily associated with the inspection and manufacturing enhancement of high value assets and components. He leads a number of high-profile inter-disciplinary in-process welding and metal additive research projects.
While undertaking his PhD Charles, was seconded to Spirit AeroSystems, in Prestwick to undertake Knowledge Exchange activities built on fundamental EPSRC funded research. Charles was awarded the prestigious University of Strathclyde EPSRC Doctoral Prize for 2014, for his work investigating automated non-contact ultrasound.
His research interests include:
Sensors including Ultrasonic, Electromagnetic, Tactile and Visual
Low noise electronics.
Charles has delivered impact in the form of dissemination, new revenue, commercialisation and product hardware through a number of high profile KE projects.
EE312 Instrumentation and Microcontrollers Lectures, Laboratories and Tutorials.
- Organiser for Factory 2050/ KUKA advanced robot programming workshop
- WAAMat Research Day - Automated NDE Keynote
- Keynote Talk - Impact In Manufacturing Inspection
- Imperial College PGR EngD Viva Examination - External Examiner
- Autonomous Systems Lab, Institute of Robotics & Intelligent Systems, ETH Zurich
- Visiting researcher
- Faculty Robotics and Automation Users Group Discussion
more professional activities
- DTP 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Zimermann, Rastislav
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Zimermann, Rastislav (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- Insptectahire - OGIC
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2020
- New Wire Additive Manufacture- NEWAM
- Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator)
- 25-Jan-2018 - 24-Jan-2023
- ANRC 012-01_Ultrasonic Inspection and Monitoring for Challenging Industrial Welding Applications_CORE
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2021
- Acoustic Based Characterisation of arc fusion process control parameters
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Dobie, Gordon (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Mulholland, Anthony (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Stratoudaki, Theodosia (Co-investigator) Tant, Katherine Margaret Mary (Co-investigator)
- 02-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2020
- Automated delivery of non-contact NDE sensors
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map