Charles MacLeod is a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering.
He is director of the Sensor Enabled Automation & Robotics Control Hub (SEARCH), a £24M research innovation and technology transfer laboratory. Aligned to this, he is Course Director of the Autonomous Robotic Intelligent Systems (ARIS) MSc.
His research is primarily associated with the inspection and manufacturing enhancement of high-value assets and components, where he leads a number of high-profile inter-disciplinary in-process welding and metal additive research projects.
He has driven and co-developed core robotic and ultrasonic technology from fundamental EPSRC research, which is now being licensed by a leading industrial organisation and co-developed an innovative inspection robot for a critical life-extension inspection at Sellafield Reprocessing Facility.
He is the PI and designer of the Engaging Robotic Interactive Cell (ERIC) STEM Outreach cell.
His research interests include:
In-Process Inspection of Fusion Welding & Metal Additive Components
Sensors including Ultrasonic, Electromagnetic, Tactile and Visual
Automation & Robotics
Automated Manufacturing & Welding
Course Director: Autonomous Robotic Intelligent Systems (ARIS) MSc.
Module Registrar: EE987 Sensors & Instrumentation
Lecturer: EE312 Instrumentation and Microcontrollers
- ASTM International Conference on Additive Manufacturing (ASTM ICAM 2021)
- BINDT Aerospace NDT 2021 Invited Talk
- WAAMat Industry Day
- BINDT TWI Joint Meeting Invited Talk
- QNDE Talk
- WAAMat Industry Day 2019
More professional activities
- Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) - New Organisation Engagement
- Mohseni, Ehsan (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Principal Investigator)
- Non-destructive evaluation
and process optimization for inspection complex components
- 15-Jan-2022 - 15-Jan-2023
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Gover, Harry
- Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Co-investigator) Gover, Harry (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 01-Jan-2025
- EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA)-New Organisation Engagement
- Mohseni, Ehsan (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator)
- "Automated non-destructive testing of high value additive manufactured components": The IAA application is geared towards how to commercialise the in-process NDT technology (ultrasonic and electromagnetic approaches).
- 01-Jan-2021 - 30-Jan-2021
- BH As-Clad Bond Integrity V1
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Javadi, Yashar (Co-investigator) Lines, David (Co-investigator) Mohseni, Ehsan (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Co-investigator)
- 02-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2022
- KTP - Peak NDT
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Lines, David (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2022
- EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) funding
- Qiu, Zhen (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Academic) O'Leary, Richard (Academic) Gachagan, Anthony (Principal Investigator) Stevenson, Tim (Principal Investigator)
- High Temperature Ultrasonic Imaging Transducer for In-Process Inspection
- 15-Jan-2020 - 15-Jan-2021
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map