Charles MacLeod is a Lecturer in the Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering. After being awarded a Masters in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with Distinction at Strathclyde, Charles then went on to undertake a PhD in Automated Non–Destructive Evaluation.
While undertaking his PhD Charles, was seconded to Spirit AeroSystems, in Prestwick to undertake Knowledge Exchange activities built on fundamental EPSRC funded research.
Charles was awarded the prestigious University of Strathclyde EPSRC Doctoral Prize for 2014, for his work investigating automated non-contact ultrasound. This work which is currently on-going has great potential in terms of scanning rates and throughput, therefore offering large reduction in overall production cycle time.
Charles has vast experience in electrical and mechanical engineering areas such as robotics, sensors, electronics, mechanical jigs and software.
His research interests include:
Sensors including Ultrasonic, Electromagnetic, Tactile and Visual
Low noise electronics.
Charles has delivered impact in the form of dissemination, new revenue, commercialisation and product hardware through a number of high profile KE projects.
EE312 Instrumentation and Microcontrollers Lectures, Laboratories and Tutorials.
- WAAMat Research Day - Automated NDE Keynote
- Keynote Talk - Impact In Manufacturing Inspection
- Imperial College PGR EngD Viva Examination - External Examiner
- Invited Speaker at National Nuclear Laboratory Signature Research Day
- Invited speaker
- AFRC CUE/Views Overview
- NNL Signature R&D Seminar on Legacy Waste, Decommissioning & Disposal
more professional activities
- Automated delivery of non-contact NDE sensors
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Stephen (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Apr-2018 - 31-Mar-2020
- Acoustic Based Characterisation of arc fusion process control parameters
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Dobie, Gordon (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Mulholland, Anthony (Co-investigator) Pierce, Stephen (Co-investigator) Stratoudaki, Theodosia (Co-investigator) Tant, Katherine Margaret Mary (Co-investigator)
- Period 02-Apr-2018 - 30-Mar-2020
- ANRC 012-01_Ultrasonic Inspection and Monitoring for Challenging Industrial Welding Applications_CORE
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-May-2018 - 30-Apr-2021
- ANRC 015 Small-Bore pipe Ultrasonic Inspection Technology and Examination (SUITE) - GATED 18 months
- Gachagan, Anthony (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Feb-2018 - 31-Jul-2019
- Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP 2016-2017 University of Strathclyde) | Vasilev, Momchil
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Pierce, Stephen (Co-investigator) Vasilev, Momchil (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2017 - 01-Apr-2021
- Industrial CASE Account - University of Strathclyde 2017 | Watson, Robert James
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Pierce, Stephen (Co-investigator) Watson, Robert James (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2017 - 01-Oct-2021
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map