Charles MacLeod is a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering.
His research is primarily associated with the inspection and manufacturing enhancement of high-value assets and components, where he leads a number of high-profile inter-disciplinary in-process welding and metal additive research projects.
He has driven and co-developed core robotic and ultrasonic technology from fundamental EPSRC research, which is now being licensed by a leading industrial organisation and co-developed an innovative inspection robot for a critical life-extension inspection at Sellafield Reprocessing Facility.
He is the PI and designer of the Engaging Robotic Interactive Cell (ERIC) STEM Outreach cell.
His research interests include:
In-Process Inspection of Fusion Welding & Metal Additive Components
Sensors including Ultrasonic, Electromagnetic, Tactile and Visual
Low noise electronics.
Charles has delivered impact in the form of dissemination, new revenue, commercialisation and product hardware through a number of high profile KE projects.
EE312 Instrumentation and Microcontrollers Lectures, Laboratories and Tutorials.
- ASTM International Conference on Additive Manufacturing (ASTM ICAM 2021)
- BINDT Aerospace NDT 2021 Invited Talk
- WAAMat Industry Day
- BINDT TWI Joint Meeting Invited Talk
- QNDE Talk
- WAAMat Industry Day 2019
More professional activities
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Gover, Harry
- Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Gover, Harry (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 01-Jan-2025
- EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA)-New Organisation Engagement
- Mohseni, Ehsan (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator)
- "Automated non-destructive testing of high value additive manufactured components": The IAA application is geared towards how to commercialise the in-process NDT technology (ultrasonic and electromagnetic approaches).
- 01-Jan-2021 - 30-Jan-2021
- BH As-Clad Bond Integrity V1
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Javadi, Yashar (Co-investigator) Lines, David (Co-investigator) Mohseni, Ehsan (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Co-investigator)
- 02-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2022
- KTP - Peak NDT
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Lines, David (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2022
- EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) funding
- Qiu, Zhen (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Academic) O'Leary, Richard (Academic) Gachagan, Anthony (Principal Investigator) Stevenson, Tim (Principal Investigator)
- High Temperature Ultrasonic Imaging Transducer for In-Process Inspection
- 15-Jan-2020 - 15-Jan-2021
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Etowe, Eseoghene
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Etowe, Eseoghene (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2023
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map