Dr Maddock is an expert in mathematical modelling and system design optimisation for transatmospheric flight vehicles, including spaceplane-based launch systems.
Dr Maddock received her undergraduate honours degree in 2002 in Aerospace Engineering with a concentration in Electronics and Systems from Carleton University in Canada. Her thesis was on the design of an optical inter-satellite link for a LEO-GEO data relay satellite system.
Her doctoral research was conducted at the University of Glasgow on the dynamics, navigation and control of a spacecraft formation of solar concentrators in the proximity of an asteroid. The research investigated a method for asteroid deflection/manipulation using a formation of spacecraft in proximity to the asteroid, equipped with a solar light concentrator, either mirrors/lens or lasers. By directing a high temperature spot beam into the surface of the asteroid, the regolith will sublimate and produce a low-thrust jet which will alter the orbital trajectory of the asteroid.
Prior to obtaining her PhD, Dr Maddock worked for the Canadian Spectrum Engineering Division analysing and designing future communications satellites, and sitting on a number of working parties within the Radiocommunications bureau of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). In particular, she was a member of the Canadian Delegation, and Chair for the ITU-R Working Party 4B on performance, availability, air interfaces and earth-station equipment of satellite systems in the FSS, BSS and MSS.
I am currently lecturer for the following courses:
Dynamics & Control 16361 (Dynamics 3 ME305, Measurement, Instrumentation & Control 16318)
The course covers topics on kinematics and kinetics of rigid bodies, mechanical vibrations in the first semester, while the second semester looks at control systems engineering, methods for analysing and altering the performance of dynamics systems, and designing controllers. Elements of numerical modelling and simulation is woven throughout the year.
Applied Mechanics and Machine Design EO402 (Applied Mechanics module)
The module on applied mechanics covers general motion of rigid bodies including forces & accelerations, energy methods and impulse & momentum. Free and forced vibrations of mass-spring-damper systems are also studied.
Adviser of Studies, Year 3 Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (2020/21--)
Adviser of Studies, Year 3 Electrical & Mechanical Engineering (2019/20)
- Stardust-R Global Virtual Workshop II: Space Traffic Management and Resilient Space Environment
- Variable-size design space optimisation for aerospace applications
- Women in Aerospace Europe (WiA-E) Working Group on Skills Gap in Aerospace (External organisation)
- Design and analysis of very high power transportation system to Mars
- International Conference on Bioinspired Optimisation Methods and Their Applications
- International Astronautical Congress
More professional activities
- Assessment of a very high power cargo transportation system to Mars
- Maddock, Christie (Principal Investigator) Minisci, Edmondo (Co-investigator) Vasile, Massimiliano (Co-investigator) Ricciardi, Lorenzo Angelo (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 15-Jan-2020
- Uncertainty Treatment and OPtimisation in Aerospace Engineering (UTOPIAE) (H2020 MCSA ETN)
- Vasile, Massimiliano (Principal Investigator) Akartunali, Kerem (Co-investigator) Maddock, Christie (Co-investigator) Minisci, Edmondo (Co-investigator) Revie, Matthew (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2020
- Sustainable impact by design: a pilot study of effective STEM dissemination for hard-to-reach audiences
- Essex, Jane (Principal Investigator) Gonzalez-Longo, Cristina (Co-investigator) Li, Rui (Co-investigator) Somorin, Tosin (Co-investigator) Hendry, Martyn (Co-investigator) Yue, Hong (Co-investigator) Maddock, Christie (Co-investigator) Ivaturi, Aruna (Co-investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator) Cunningham, Margaret Rose (Co-investigator)
- STEM Equals and RKES funding £10,000
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2021
- Concept feasibility for novel micro-launcher
- Maddock, Christie (Principal Investigator) Fossati, Marco (Co-investigator) Jalalvand, Meisam (Co-investigator) MacKenzie, Donald (Co-investigator) Ricciardi, Lorenzo Angelo (Co-investigator) Vasile, Massimiliano (Co-investigator) Zhou, Xingguo (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 30-Jan-2020
- UKSA GSTP De-Risking: Aerodynamics
- Fossati, Marco (Principal Investigator) Maddock, Christie (Co-investigator)
- 19-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Parsonage, Ben
- Maddock, Christie (Principal Investigator) Vasile, Massimiliano (Co-investigator) Parsonage, Ben (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2022
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map