I am nearly approaching my 10 year Strathclyde anniversary.
I started at Strathclyde as a undergraduate students in 2011 and graduated with a BSc (Hons - First Class) in Mathematics, Statistics and Economics. Following that, I then started my PhD under the supervision of Prof Tony Mulholland, Prof Gareth Pierce and Dr Katy Tant. My PhD was an interdisciplinary project between the department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, the department of Mathematics and Statistics and the National Physical Laboratory. I successfully defended my PhD Thesis "Reconstructing Spatially Heterogeneous Thermal Maps using Light-based Metrology Sensors" in November 2019. This collaborative research focused on reducing the measurement errors involved in the manufacture of high value goods. To achieve this an inverse problem was solved using a Bayesian approach.
In 2019, I began my teaching career at Strathclyde as a Teaching Assistant, I was then promoted to a Teaching Associate in 2020. I am mainly responsible for teaching statistics and at present I teach the introductory statistics module to first year undergraduate students. I also teach Medical Statistics and to keep my maths skills sharp, I also get involved with calculus classes.
Prizes and awards
- Faculty of Science Teaching Excellence Award - Teaching Innovation
- Nominee for Strathclyde Teaching Excellence Awards
- Faculty of Science Teaching Excellence Award - Team Award
- Best Student who Tutors
- Finalist at STEM for Britain
- Best presentation by an early stage researcher
More prizes and awards
I am a fully qualified Mental Health First Aider and run a Mental Health Support Service every week for students studying Mathematics and Statistics.
I am currently working towards my PG Cert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education. Classes within the PG Cert are accredited by the Higher Education Academy to lead to professional recognition at Associate Fellow of the HEA (AFHEA).
Recent teaching activities:
MM104: Statistics and Data Presentation
MM106 & BM110: Essential Statistics
MM116: Mathematics 1c
ME209: Mathematical Modelling and Analysis
MM401: Communicating Mathematics and Statistics
MM415: Medical Statistics
Postgraduate taught courses:
MM914: Foundations of Probability and Statistics
MM909/MM927: Medical Statistics
MM139: Mathematics for Data Analytics
MM140: PreSessional Mathematics
- Anxiety Around Learning R in First Year Undergraduate Students: Mathematics vs Biomedical Sciences Students
- Anxiety Around Learning R in First Year Undergraduate Students: Mathematics vs Biomedical Students
- Gender Based Violence - First Responder Level 3
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA) (External organisation)
- Mental Health First Aider
More professional activities
- Supporting students during their transition to university
- Pyper, Kate (Principal Investigator) Miller, Ainsley (Co-investigator) Jack, Eilidh (Co-investigator)
- £1000 QAA funded project to employ a student intern to develop surveys which will help to assess discrepancies between the expectations of academics, school teachers, and incoming students. This will help to develop and understanding of the support our transitioning students need to help them succeed at university
- 10-Jan-2022 - 09-Jan-2024
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map