Mairi Spowage is a Principal Knowledge Exchange Fellow and the Deputy Director of the Fraser of Allander Institute.
Her areas of expertise include economic policy, economic statistics, national accounting, public sector finances, and economic and fiscal forecasting.
Mairi leads on the Institute's work with various partners, including those in business, the public and third sector. She is regularly asked to give evidence on economic and fiscal matters at Parliamentary Committees, such as the Finance and Constitution Committee and the Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee.
Mairi is leading on various projects to improve regional economic statistics, looking at inter-regional trade, business engagement and encouraging graduates into careers in analysis through the Economic Futures programme. She is also developing the Fraser’s capacity building CPD programme in the use of national and local economic data and statistics.
Previously, Mairi was the Deputy Chief Executive of the Scottish Fiscal Commission and the Head of National Accounts at the Scottish Government, and has over a decade of experience working in different areas of statistics and analysis, including transport, household surveys and performance measurement.
Economic Measurement & Statistics
National Accounts - Input-Output Analysis
Economic and Fiscal Forecasting
Public Sector Finances
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Podcast Series
- Fraser of Allander Institute 2021 Scottish Election Webinar
- Engage Week 2021: Multi-sectoral regional modelling workshop
- Fraser of Allander December 2020 Economic Commentary & Scotland's Budget Report Webinar
- Support and opportunities for adults with learning disabilities in Scotland
- Cardiff Business Webinar
More professional activities
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Briefing
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Mitchell, Mark (Co-investigator) McIntyre, Stuart (Co-investigator) Eiser, David (Co-investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator) Watts, Robert (Co-investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Researcher) Cooper, Benjamin (Researcher) Black, James (Researcher) Brocek, Frantisek (Researcher)
- 24-Jan-2021 - 04-Jan-2021
- Shetland Economic Accounts 2017
- Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Researcher) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- A Framework for the Production of Supply and Use and Input Output Tables for the Four Nations
- Davidson, Sharada Nia (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Principal Investigator) Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- In this report, we develop a strategic framework for the production of Supply and Use Tables across the four UK nations.
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- Economic Modelling of the Scottish Construction Industry
- Black, James (Principal Investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- The construction sector is an important contributor to the Scottish economy – directly supporting £8.5bn in Scottish GVA and supporting over 170,000 full-time equivalent jobs in the economy.
This project aims to highlight the economic impact of the construction sector, highlighting the multiplier effects that investment into this sector could stimulate and the potential economic impact that a VAT cut in repair and maintenance could have to support the Scottish economy in its economic recovery from COVID-19.
- 01-Jan-2020 - 26-Jan-2021
- The Economic Impact of Job Losses in the Civil Aviation and Aerospace Engineering Sectors in Scotland
- McGeoch, Adam (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2020
- Appearance at Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- Appearance as a witness at the EJFW Committee's Inquiry into the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the Scottish Economy and Businesses
- 18-Jan-2020 - 18-Jan-2020