Mairi Spowage is a Professor of Practice and Director of the Fraser of Allander Institute.
Her areas of expertise include economic policy, economic statistics, national accounting, public sector finances, and economic and fiscal forecasting.
Mairi leads on the Institute's work with various partners, including those in business, the public and third sector. She is regularly asked to give evidence on economic and fiscal matters at Parliamentary Committees, such as the Finance and Constitution Committee and the Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee.
Mairi has been appointed to be the Budget Adviser to the Finance and Public Adminsitration Committee for 2021-2023. Mairi has also been appointed as an Office for National Statistics (ONS) fellow and member of the Economic Experts Working Group (EEWG).
Mairi is leading on various projects to improve regional economic statistics, looking at inter-regional trade, business engagement and encouraging graduates into careers in analysis through the Economic Futures programme. She is also developing the Fraser’s capacity building CPD programme in the use of national and local economic data and statistics.
Previously, Mairi was the Deputy Chief Executive of the Scottish Fiscal Commission and the Head of National Accounts at the Scottish Government, and has 15 years of experience working in different areas of statistics and analysis, including transport, household surveys and performance measurement.
Economic Measurement & Statistics
National Accounts - Input-Output Analysis
Economic and Fiscal Forecasting
Public Sector Finances
- Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy Academic Conference
- Weekly update – A review of our latest economic commentary [Podcast] EP70
- UK Trade Policy Forum - Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Briefing the Finance and Public Administration Committee on climate change
- Providing feedback on Climate Emergency Response Group recommendations to Scottish Government
- Building a Suite of Subnational Socioeconomic Indicators for the UK: Opportunities, Challenges and Recommendations
More professional activities
- Understanding the Scottish Economy
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Fox, Calum (Co-investigator)
- 05-Jan-2023 - 05-Jan-2023
- Trade in Northern Ireland: Characteristics of businesses and workers
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) Black, James (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2023 - 30-Jan-2023
- The CBI Scottish Productivity Index
- McGeoch, Adam (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator)
- 31-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2026
- Economics Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Package for Food and Drink Division
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- 12-Jan-2022 - 01-Jan-2022
- Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy
- Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Figus, Gioele (Co-investigator) McGregor, Peter (Co-investigator) Roy, Graeme (Co-investigator) Wooton, Ian (Co-investigator) Black, James (Researcher) Maurya, Aditya (Researcher)
- 06-Jan-2022 - 05-Jan-2027
- Scoping the potential use of macroeconomic models to energy policies questions in Northern Ireland
- Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2022