I am Diploma Courses Leader within the Counselling Unit (School of Psychological Sciences & Health). In the 2016-17 academic year we are running two part-time postgraduate diploma in counselling & psychotherapy courses (accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and training approximately 60 students as person-centred counsellors.
In addition I am the coordinator of the Strathclyde Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Clinic, which is led by Professor Robert Elliott. We offer free person-centred and experiential counselling and psychotherapy to members of the public who are willing to take part in our research protocol.
I am currently undertaking PhD studies: Measuring patterns of change in client congruence: A longitudunal and cross-sectional investigation.
My wider research interests include the outcome and process of person-centred and experiential counselling and psychotherapy, the impact of PCE training on students, clients' experiences of therapy and developing case study research methods. I am also conducting an ongoing longitudinal study to map the development of the person-centred approach in Scotland (datasets collected in 2006 and 2015).
- The Strathclyde Inventory: Measuring congruence as an outcome of therapy
- PCE Europe Symposium 2016
- Lifespan Integration Therapy with Trauma-Exposed Children: A Hermeneutic Single Case Efficacy Study (Christian Rensch, Thesis, MA in Counselling Psychology, Trinity Western University, Canada)
- External Examiner
- PCE 2016 Symposium
- Member of programme committee
- BACP 21st Annual Counselling & Psychotherapy Research Conference
- Society for Psychotherapy Research 25th UK Chapter Annual Conference
more professional activities
- A pilot study of the relationship between interaction of the caregivers and the care recipients of dementia and their anxiety in residential aged care
- Stephen, Susan (Co-investigator)
- International Collaborator: Yu, P.; Traynor, V.; Barkus, E.; Li, M.; Qian, S. Carrigan, N. & Stephen, S. (2015) A pilot study of the relationship between interaction of the caregivers and the care recipients of dementia and their anxiety in residential aged care UOW, Global Challenges. AU$10,000.
- Period 05-Jan-2016 - 20-Jul-2016
Graham Hills Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map