Eleni (Lenia) Tsougkou is a Lecturer in Marketing at the Department of Marketing of the University of Strathclyde. She has a wide spectrum of academic background in business, ranging from economics to marketing management. She has obtained her PhD in International Marketing from Loughborough University (UK). She also holds a master’s degree in Advertising and Marketing from Leeds University Business School (UK), as well as an undergraduate degree in Economic and Regional Development from Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences (Athens, Greece). During and in between her studies she gained work experience, both in the marketing side of the industry as well as in the agency side, holding mostly account handling responsibilities.
Eleni is teaching both at the undergraduate and the postgraduate levels. She is the class coordinator for the honours module of International Business Management. She also teaches Strategic Global Marketing for the students of the MSc International Marketing programme and Dissertation Skills for the MSc Marketing students.
Eleni has a wide spectrum of research interests within the area of the firm’s international activities and marketing management.
Her major research interest concerns international business from a marketing perspective and tackles aspects such as:
- International marketing (e.g. international marketing strategy, export marketing & entry modes, global branding and global brand management, global consumer behaviour)
- International Entrepreneurship (e.g. entrepreneurial orientation, innovativeness, competitive aggressiveness)
- The role of formal and informal institutions in firms’ international activities and performance (e.g. network ties, emerging markets)
Her doctoral thesis has focused on investigating how export product adaptation affects customer value creation. She is currently involved in a multi-country project examining “Entrepreneurship in the 21st Century” and specifically tackling issues such as export product adaptation, innovativeness, entry-mode and international CSR.
On the side, Eleni is also interested in aspects of marketing management related to:
- Digital marketing/(online) brand management
- Consumer psychology & behaviour (e.g. the role of emotions in marketing settings, consumer engagement, attitudes and intentions)
She holds experience both in:
- Quantitative research (regression analysis & SEM-structural equation modelling)
- Qualitative research (e.g. interviews), preferably as part of a mixed methods approach
Her work is frequently presented in international conferences and she is extremely keen on supervising students on any of the above-mentioned research areas.
- European Marketing Academy Conference 2023 (Event)
- Peer reviewer
- American Marketing Association Global Marketing SIG Conference 2023 (Event)
- Peer reviewer
- International Marketing Review (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- European Journal of Marketing (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- PhD Internal Examiner (Viva)
- MRES Examination
More professional activities
- Digital Branding
- Tsougkou, Eleni (Lenia) (Principal Investigator) Sykora, Martin (Principal Investigator) Ifie, Kemefasu (Principal Investigator) Oliveira, João S. (Principal Investigator) Elayan, Suzanne (Principal Investigator)
- A project examining the effects of digital branding efforts on social media.
- Digital Brand Personality
- Ghorbani, Mijka (Researcher) Tonner, Andrea (Academic) Tsougkou, Eleni (Lenia) (Academic)
- Augmented Reality in Heritage
- Panhale, Tanvi (Researcher) Bryce, Derek (Academic) Tsougkou, Eleni (Lenia) (Academic)
- Digital 101
- Tsougkou, Eleni (Lenia) (Academic) Oliveira, João S. (Principal Investigator) Ifie, Kemefasu (Academic) Sykora, Martin (Academic) Castro, Vitor (Academic) Elayan, Suzanne (Researcher)
- Project investigating the role of emotions in social media marketing settings.
- 01-Jan-2016 - 15-Jan-2021
- Entrepreneurship in the 21st Century
- Tsougkou, Eleni (Lenia) (Academic) Cadogan, John W. (Principal Investigator) Hodgkinson, Ian R. (Academic) Oliveira, João S. (Academic) Story, Vicky M. (Academic) Boso, Nathaniel (Academic) Lioliou, Eleni (Academic) Laukannen, Tommi (Academic) Asmat-Nizam Abdul-Talib, Asmat-Nizam (Academic) Jean, Ruey-Jer "Bryan" (Academic) Beracs, József (Academic) Nagy, Gabor (Academic) Felzensztein, Christian (Academic) Martínez-López, Francisco J. (Academic) Lisboa, Ana (Academic) Bilgin Wührer, Zeynep (Academic) Thoumrungroje, Amonrat (Academic) Schwens, Christian (Academic) Walheiser, Dennis (Researcher) Ko, Eunju (Academic) Sy-Chango, Joseph (Academic) Schmitt, Julien (Academic) Souchon, Anne (Academic) Despoudi, Stella (Academic) Eibe Sørensen, Hans (Academic) Yazdani, Nahid (Academic) Asikainen, Sanna-Katriina (Principal Investigator)
- This project studies firms’ international business activities (such as their international marketing strategy, their competitive approach, their innovation, their CSR, and so on), their internal characteristics, the external environment and the implications on performance. The project is led by Professor John Cadogan (Loughborough University) and entails a wide international network of academic collaborators. More than 15 countries have currently collected data for this project, which will eventually compare aspects of entrepreneurship across the markets involved.