Back to staff profile
2021 IEEE Richard Harold Kaufmann Award Recipient 6/2020 Scottish Knowledge Exchange Awards: Multi–Party Collaboration Award Recipient 2016 IEEE Power & Energy Society Technical Committee Prize Paper Award. Recipient 7/2010 IEEE Power & Energy Society Technical Committee Working Group Recognition Award Recipient 7/2008
Area of Expertise
- Intelligent systems, with a focus on power and energy applications.
- Research and development of diagnostic and prognostic decision support systems.
- Decision support frameworks and architectures, using distributed intelligence methods and platforms.
- Smart Grid applications.
- Plant lifetime extension in the civil nuclear industry.
Prize And Awards
Back to staff profile
Remaining useful life prediction of filters in nuclear power plants Young Andrew, Devereux Michael, Brown Blair David, Stephen Bruce, West Graeme, McArthur Stephen 13th Nuclear Plant Instrumentation, Control & Human-Machine Interface Technologies (2023) Leveraging knowledge from historic engineering drawings Fagan AM, West GM, McArthur SDJ 13th Nuclear Plant Instrumentation, Control & Human-Machine Interface Technologies (2023) A Gaussian process based fleet lifetime predictor model for unmonitored power network assets Jiang Xu, Stephen Bruce, Chandarasupsang Tirapot, McArthur Stephen DJ, Stewart Brian G IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery Vol 38, pp. 979-987 (2023) https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrd.2022.3203161 Parameterisation of domain knowledge for rapid and iterative prototyping of knowledge-based systems Young Andrew, West Graeme, Brown Blair, Stephen Bruce, Duncan Andrew, Michie Craig, McArthur Stephen DJ Expert Systems with Applications Vol 208 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2022.118169 Prognostics & health management oriented data analytics suite for transformer health monitoring Aizpurua Jose Ignacio, Stewart Brian G, McArthur Stephen D J Transformers Magazine, pp. 1-9 (2022) Multi vector energy demand modelling for predicting low-carbon heat loads Anderson Amy, Stephen Bruce, McArthur Stephen IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe 2022 (2022)
Back to staff profile
Scottish Power Energy Networks Holdings Limited SPEN (External organisation) Advisor 1/3/2023 KUKA Strategic Partnership Foundation Participant 24/11/2022 Nanyang Technological University Visiting researcher 1/1/2022 National Grid Electricity System Operator (NGESO) (External organisation) Advisor 4/2021 Keynote Presentation on "Digitilisation in Nuclear - Harnessing Data Science for Enhanced Through Life Management of Nuclear Plants" Speaker 24/1/2018 Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (External organisation) Advisor 1/1/2018
DIGF-CRAD-06294: Data-driven Manufacturing Colab Innovation Accelerator Sherlock, Andrew (Principal Investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) 01-Jan-2023 - 31-Jan-2025 GiBio Gastrointestinal bioreactor to evaluate ingestible medicines and inform formulation and manufacture (EPSRC Strategic equipment) Batchelor, Hannah (Principal Investigator) Florence, Alastair (Co-investigator) Horan, Linda (Co-investigator) Khadra, Ibrahim (Co-investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) 01-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2025 EnergyREV Impact Accelerator Funding Application Ford, Rebecca (Principal Investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2023 Turing Network Development Call McArthur, Stephen (Principal Investigator) West, Graeme (Co-investigator) 01-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2022 Multiscale Metrology Suite for Next-generation Healthcare Technologies (EPSRC Strategic Equipment) Rattray, Zahra (Principal Investigator) Bruns, Nico (Co-investigator) Faulds, Karen (Co-investigator) Graham, Duncan (Co-investigator) Halbert, Gavin (Co-investigator) Hoskins, Clare (Co-investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) Perrie, Yvonne (Co-investigator) Reid, Stuart (Co-investigator) Seib, Philipp (Co-investigator) 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2024 EPSRC Capital Core Equipment Award 2020 McArthur, Stephen (Principal Investigator) 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2022
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and intelligent system applications in the power and energy fields
- Industrial application of AI, data science and data analytics
- Condition monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics for equipment, plant and power networks
- Distributed intelligence in electric power systems, active network management and Smart Grids
- Nuclear power plant monitoring, diagnosis, prediction, and lifetime extension
- Intelligent system methods: knowledge based systems; model based reasoning; machine learning
- Multi-Agent Systems and Intelligent Agents: multi-agent methods, models, techniques and architectures for power engineering applications
- Explainable AI
- Decision support environments