I am a Senior Lecturer in the department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, having been appointed through the Chancellor's Fellowship scheme. My research interests lie in the area of intelligent decision support, primarily for applications in the Energy Industry, and with a particular focus on through lifetime management of nuclear power generation assets. This covers a broad range of disciplines ranging from artificial intelligence, machine learning, & data analytics through to image and video processing. Application areas include inspection, condition monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics of plant items, both from individual asset and fleet wide perspectives. I am an academic lead in the University’s Advanced Nuclear Research Centre (ANRC).
My current projects at the University include improving understanding of the graphite reactor cores of Advanced Gas-cooled Reactors (AGR) through analysis of refuelling data (EDF Energy), Automated sizing and classification of defects in CANDU reactor pressure tubes (Bruce Power), improved visual inspection of AGR fuel channel bricks (EDF Energy) and visual inspection of steel pipe work in the nuclear industry (NNL, Sellafield, WideBlue, Inspecta-hire).
I am 2nd Year Adviser of Studies for the BEng/MEng Electronic and Electrical Engineering undergraduate degree courses.
i am module registrar for EM501: Fifth Year Group Projects for the MEng Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Students.
I am responsible for the 2nd year EE/EM271 Sensor and Signal Processing Laboratory where the students design and build an instrument for measuring the thickness of steel using an ultrasonic transducer.
I am module registrar for the 3rd Year EM310: Signal and Systems course which covers the concepts and analysis of signals in both the time and frequency domains in the context of both analogue and discrete (digital) domains, baoth in terms of mathematical analysis and practical systems.
I teach a 5-week module on "Intelligent Condition Monitoring" as part of ME507 Machinery Diagnosis and Condition Monitoring.
My research interests are in the design and application of artificial intelligence techniques to support the management of key engineering assets in a number of industries. I have a particular focus in nuclear power generation applications and my research supports EDF Energy, who run and maintain the UK's Civil nuclear power stations, in analysing data that comes from their graphite reactor cores.
- Innovation in Automated Assessment of Pressure Tube Defects
- The Advanced Nuclear Research Centre: Industrial informatics for supporting through-life nuclear asset management
- Harnessing Data Science for Industrial Value: Successes, Experience and Lessons Learned from the Electrical Energy Sector
- Nuclear Plant Lifetime Extension through Online Analytics
- Holyrood Briefing Civil Nuclear Power: Opportunities for Scottish Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Reliability (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
more professional activities
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Fagan, Andrew
- West, Graeme (Principal Investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) Fagan, Andrew (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2023
- ANRC -04 Advanced Image Processing Techniques for In-core Inspections
- West, Graeme (Principal Investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2021
- Insptectahire - OGIC
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Rana, Shuvendu (Co-investigator) West, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2020
- ANRC 001 Ext Automated Classification and Sizing of Pressure Tube Defects Phase IV - GATED - YEAR 2
- West, Graeme (Principal Investigator) Dobie, Gordon (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator)
- During routine inspections of CANDU nuclear reactors a selected subset of the pressure tubes which house the nuclear fuel are inspected ultrasonically. This generates a large volume of data which has to be manually assessed. In this project, we are examining the applicability of automated intelligent analysis techniques to support the manual sizing and classification of any observed defects.
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2019
- Prosperity Partnership: Delivering Enhanced Through-Life Nuclear Asset Management
- McArthur, Stephen (Principal Investigator) Dobie, Gordon (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Hamilton, Andrea (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Michie, Craig (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Renshaw, Joanna (Co-investigator) West, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2022
- Mosaicing for Automatic Pipe Scanning (MAPS) (CR&D)
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) Marshall, Stephen (Co-investigator) West, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2015 - 31-Jan-2018
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Royal College Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map