The list below contains clear guidance on what selectors are looking for in a reference.
- the reference should be signed, dated (not older than 6 months) and on headed paper, with contact details of the referee. This can be uploaded to your application
- references in email form may be accepted if they are from a work/university email account clearly identifiable as being that of the referee
- academic references would be expected, or references from employment within a relevant field
- the reference should recommend the candidate for the doctoral study
- the referee should state how they know the candidate and how long for
- the reference should comment on the candidate’s skills, particularly in relation to the research that would be undertaken in the doctoral studies
- potential supervisors of the project may be a referee but a second reference commenting on the candidate’s academic ability should also be submitted