We offer innovative courses delivered by highly-qualified staff with a dynamic approach and many years of practical experience.
We have many years of practical experience in important areas, including:
- Advanced manufacturing & materials
- Health and wellbeing
- Society and policy
- Measurement science
Our distance learning programmes
We recognise the growing need for flexible learning programmes for professionals, by providing flexible online learning courses that fit in with your current job, family commitments or lifestyle. Our part-time modular programmes are mainly for industry-based students from the UK and overseas. All courses are hosted online with the advantage of tutors giving support through forums and live webinars.
Excellent employment opportunities
We have strong links with major chemical engineering employers across the world, particularly those involved in our unique Chemical Engineering by distance learning programmes.
Our MEng final year placement scheme is a major attraction for prospective employers.
All of our BEng, MEng and MSc courses are fully accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
We're one of the largest chemical engineering departments in the country.
We're at the forefront of chemical engineering research, stretching across the boundaries of science and engineering.
Among our areas of expertise are:
- the controlled assembly of nanostructured materials
- the design of advanced reactors
- combating global warming with novel energy storage technology
- understanding protein aggregation in degenerative diseases
Our equipment & facilities
Our research laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art instruments for characterisation of a wide range of porous and nanomaterials.
Constantly developing experimental techniques allow the investigation of crystallisation, flow reactions and combustion processes.
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Intelligent Gravimetric Analysis (IGA) and Brunauer, Emmett and Teller Instrument (BET) systems
- Electrochemical deposition and etching systems for nanofabrication
- High resolution optical microscopes with image analysis and digital cameras
- Hollow fibre and membrane gas testing equipment
- Rheometer and high pressure viscometer
- UV-Vis Spectrophotometers
- High-performance gas and liquid chromatograph
- Static and dynamic light scattering instruments
- High-power laser systems
- High-temperature furnaces
We have access to the High Performance Computing for the West of Scotland Centre (ARCHIE-WeSt) and the Advanced Materials Research Laboratory (AMRL).
We specialise in advanced computational modelling, as well as looking at materials and processes on all scales from the atomic to the macroscopic.