This centre offers the UK’s only comprehensive doctoral training programme in Wind & Marine Energy Systems & Structures (CDT-WAMESS), bringing together the leading UK research groups in Wind Energy and Offshore Structures at Strathclyde, Marine Energy at the University of Edinburgh and Offshore Structures at the University of Oxford.
University of Strathclyde for more information about Wind Energy and Offshore Structures and to apply to Track A or Track B at Strathclyde.
University of Edinburgh for more information about Marine Energy and to apply to Track B at Edinburgh.
The WAMESS CDT is currently advertising for studentships in both tracks of the CDT (find out more about Track A and Track B).
Applications are open for Track A students. Track A is for students who wish to have their academic training programme to be concentrated in the first year of their 4 years in the CDT. Their research project is then completed over the remaining three years. This means that a student has longer in which to choose their research project. The broad initial training programme can help to inform a student’s choice of research project.
Track A students will be based at the University of Strathclyde for all 4 years of the CDT.
Applications are open for Track B students in the following set research projects:
- The University of Strathclyde is currently advertising for 2 studentships
- Impacts of Atmospheric Turbulence on Wind Turbine Main-Bearing Function and Failures (Application submissions close on 1 May 2021, however, the position will be offered before this date if a suitable candidate is found. Potential applicants are therefore encouraged to make contact with the supervisory team as soon as possible.)
- Design of smarter powertrains for offshore wind turbines (may be Track A or Track B studentship)
- The University of Edinburgh is currently advertising for 3 studentships
- The University of Oxford is currently advertising for 2 studentships
- Experimental Methods for Dynamic Measurement and Modelling of Offshore Wind Structures (Applications close 22nd January 2021)
- RWE Renewables sponsored research studentship in identification methods for offshore wind turbine structures and foundations (Applications close 22nd January 2021)
- The University of Oxford is currently recruiting 3 DPhil students
- DPhil studentships in areas such as geotechnical engineering, fluid mechanics, and civil engineering (Applications close 2nd March 2021)
Track B students will be based at the University of Strathclyde for the first semester of the CDT. The remainder of the PhD will be carried out at the host university: Strathclyde, Edinburgh or Oxford.