The Confucius Institute for Scotland's Schools is part of Scotland's National Centre for Languages which supports a wealth of language learning and diversity across Scotland's communities. As a nation, we are developing the language skills that equip us for life in a globally interdependent world, thus contributing to a fairer, smarter, more successful Scotland. We achieve this by promoting and supporting high quality language learning and fostering a climate that celebrates all languages.
The Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools, based at the University of Strathclyde, is a national centre funded by the Scottish Government and Hanban/the Confucius Institute Headquarters of China.
CISS shares the bold vision of Scotland’s National Centre for Languages and of the Scottish Government’s China Engagement Strategy. We play our part in supporting learners in schools and the wider community to develop the knowledge, skills and cultural awareness required of citizens in the globally interdependent world of the 21st century.
We achieve this through our partnership with Confucius Institute Headquarters and our network of Confucius Classroom hubs. The hubs provide high-quality, progressive language learning experiences for all as well as rich, inclusive opportunities for personal development which promote cultural understanding. We facilitate educational and cultural exchange and research between China and Scotland so that our two countries may continue to share expertise and learn from each other.
- to provide strategic leadership and direction to the Confucius Classroom Hubs in order to support high quality language learning and teaching experiences in line with Scotland's national priorities.
- to highlight and demonstrate the benefits of learning about Chinese language and culture as a means of developing intercultural competencies so that Mandarin is recognised widely as a key skill for life and work.
- to facilitate language-related research, share information and enable knowledge exchange between Scotland and China.
Our Partnership Agreements
- strengthen educational cooperation between China and Scotland
- support and promote development of Chinese language education
- increase mutual understanding among young people in China and Scotland
The Confucius Institute for Scotland's Schools was established in 2012 in partnership with Tianjin Education Commission.