A Recruitment Agency acts as an intermediary between an organisation that is looking to employ someone and an individual who is looking for a job. They can therefore be useful to you in your job search:
- in cities such as Glasgow, there is usually plenty of casual work available and much of this is advertised through recruitment agencies
- some large companies outsource graduate recruitment to agencies and some may use agencies to conduct the early stages of their recruitment
Finding Suitable Agencies
Some agencies specialise in a type of work, for example IT or hospitality, so it is worth taking time to identify the best recruitment agency to contact:
- Recruitment Agencies in Scotland - search by specialism and location
- Use Agency Central to identify agencies in particular sectors or locations in the UK
- Search the directory of recruitment and employment agencies in the UK
- Register with more than one agency to maximise your chances - 3 or 4 is probably a manageable number. You usually make contact by telephone or e-mail and then are invited to visit their office to register. Remember to take the most recent copy of your CV with you but be prepared to fill out the same information on agency forms. You should tell each agency which ones you have registered for and which roles or firms your CV has been forwarded to. This avoids duplication.
- Give the agency a good CV - see our advice on CVs and cover letters
- Be proactive. Recruitment consultants tend to be very upbeat about finding you a job but can seem to forget about you as soon as you leave their office! Get a contact name and 'phone or call in regularly to ensure your name is at the forefront of their minds when jobs come in.
- Use an agency that wants to charge you a fee to be matched to employers
- Be talked into taking unsuitable jobs
- Go forward for a job without good information about the company or the job
- Be pressurised into changing your CV into one that fits the agency but you are unhappy with. It's your CV!
- Student Experience & Enhancement Services
- Print Services
- Estates Services
- Finance Directorate
- Human Resources Directorate
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Services