Finding Out About Postgraduate Study and Research
There are 2 types of postgraduate study: Research - Masters courses are usually one year full-time and PhD usually 3 years full-time. These involve in-depth study of an aspect of your first degree or a closely allied subject. Taught - Masters, Diploma and Certificate courses, mostly of one year duration, prepare you for entry to a professional area. Note that an EngD is a combination of both - typically the first year is a taught programme, followed by 3 years research.
Postgraduate study is an increasingly popular direction for graduates, but applying for courses requires thought and preparation. Thinking about what you hope to gain from further study, and the time and cost implications, will help you decide whether it is right for you. By thoroughly researching the options available to you, it will help you to make an informed choice.
- Seeking an academic challenge
- To increase their knowledge, professional expertise and skills
- To develop research skills (PhD and MRes courses)
- To gain a qualification that will progress their career
- To increase their chance of employment in a chosen field
- To experience life in a different country at a university abroad
- How you want to study: full-time, part-time, distance learning, taught course or by research
- Where you want to study: Do you want to study in the same institution or do you want to experience university somewhere else?
- If the course is accredited or recognised by the industry body of the profession you want to enter
- Competition for postgraduate courses can be high and so it is important that your application stands out. You must show your motivation and commitment to further study and detail any relevant experience that adds value to your applicaton.
- Many courses don't state specific closing dates but it is important to apply early to avoid disappointment particularly if you are also applying for funding.
- Details of how and when to apply can be found on university websites.
- Steps to postgraduate study - a guide to asking the right questions.
- Choosing postgraduate - information from AGCAS (Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services) on TARGETpostgrad
- IET for further information/advice about postgraduate study in Engineering
- Guardian for postgraduate news and articles
- Postgraduate study at Strathclyde
- Prospects Postgraduate Study Guide (online version)
- Prospects, Targetpostgrad, Postgrad.com, FindAMasters to help you find a postgraduate course to match your study interest
- Postgraduate teacher training in Scotland
- Guidelines for writing personal statements for postgraduate study from Prospects
- UCAS postgraduate study search tool
- University Rankings Worldwide Times Higher Education university rankings
- Topmba from QS rankings provides advice on choosing an MBA programme.
- Are you thinking of doctoral research? Advice from Vitae
- Directory of postgraduate research opportunties at Strathclyde
- FindAPhD to help you find an area of research to match your interest
- Download an ebook from Jobs.ac.uk to find out more about research degrees and academic careers
- Research is cool - research jobs and social networking
- PhDs : the tortuous truth - article from Nature
Studying abroad can be a life changing experience giving the opportunity to travel, learn about different cultures, meet new friends and enhance your CV.
- Prospects introduction to what's involved in studying and researching abroad
- For general directories of international universities, see list below
- IDP Education: Study Abroad - Find courses in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- GMAT test prep resources
A postgraduate course in another European country can offer considerable advantages, especially if you want to work in that country. The experience can also be very broadening and add additional skills, such as languages.
- Postgradireland and Postgrad.ie for information on p/g study in Ireland
- Euraxess UK allows you to search for UK and international funding. Funded studentships and fellowships in the UK and overseas are also advertised.
- Ploteus contains information on studying in thirty countries
- Europa Pages is useful for language courses in France, Spain and Germany and English courses in the UK and Ireland.
- Eurydice is an information network on education in Europe including databases of all national education systems, with HE details.
- Study.EU - information on English-taught study programmes across Europe
Individual countries in Europe
- Campus France
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Study in Belgium
- Study in Denmark
- Study in Finland
- Studying in Germany
- Study in Norway
- Study in Sweden
- Studying in Switzerland
Funding for study in Europe
- Anglo-Danish Society offers scholarship programme for British graduates studying in Denmark, and for Danish graduates studying in the UK
Australia offers many advantages for further study including a University system which is similar to the UK, meaning that British degrees are readily understood by Australian institutions.
- Study in Australia is a website for advice on study in Australia. It has extensive information on types of courses available, study costs, scholarships, student visas.
- Studying in Australia has information on 10 of Australia's universities, including scholarships.
- Australian government provides advice on studying in Australia
- Study options - study in Australia or New Zealand
- https://educationusa.state.gov/is the US government's portal for international students. It includes information on undergraduate and postgraduate study, short-term study and opportunities for scholars and funding.
- Peterson's information to help you to choose colleges and courses, and includes the International Scholarship Search database for possible sources of finance.
- Fulbright Commission website for information on postgraduate study in the USA.
- Universities Canada - with testimonials and search facility.
- Canadian-universities.net - Canadian universities, community colleges, jobs and volunteering
- Study in Canada - course search and also information on living in Canada
- World Education Services - guide to grade equivalence for US study
Notes on the application process from the Fulbright USA Grad School session, October 2017
- Funding Postgraduate Study Prospects funding guide
- Student Awards Agency for Scotland Tuition fee loans for certain eligible postgraduate course
- SAAS Register of Educational Endowments (pdf)
- Strathclyde University's searchable database of scholarships
- Search for studentships, scholarships etc at Postgraduatestudentships.co.uk, or Scholarship Search from Postgraduate Search
- Information about some specific scholarships/grants
- Educational trusts and charities - search for grants using Turn2us and Educational Grants Service.
- The Grants Register - "the complete guide to postgraduate funding worldwide" - available for reference in the Careers Service, or through the University Library
- The Alternative guide to Postgraduate Funding - available for reference in the Careers Service
- FindAPhD funding guide
- FindAMasters funding guide
- Professional and career development loans Gov.uk
- The British Council provides links to scholarships for international students wishing to study in the UK
Funding study abroad
- International Scholarships - free searchable database - to view details you need to create an account
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Association of Commonwealth Universities - scholarships
Postgraduate Research funding
- UK Research and Innovation list of UK research councils and searchable list of current funding opportunities
- University of Strathclyde list of PhD research opportunities
- Wellcome Trust - searchable database of funding opportunities
- Canon Foundation in Europe - Research Grants in Japan and Europe - grants, regardless of discipline to Europeans for research in Japan; and for Japanese for research in Europe
- Make direct contact if you already know the course you want to follow or the institution you want to study at. Their postgraduate prospectus or website will provide you with course information and, in many cases, the name of someone from whom you can find out more.
- Get individual advice from a Careers Consultant
- Get advice on funding from Strathclyde's Student Financial Support Team
- Prepare a winning application
- Educations.com Searchable database of courses across the world
- QS Top Universities QS rankings for the top universities across the world
- Studylink Studylink allows you to search for university courses around the world. The site also has advice on visas, applications, funding and entry requirements as well as country profiles
- Universities Worldwide A searchable database of universities around the world. Users can search the database by country or by US state.
- Student Experience & Enhancement Services
- Print Services
- Estates Services
- Finance Directorate
- Human Resources Directorate
- Internal Audit
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Services