Self Employment

work experience banner3

Working on a self-employed basis while you are a student

The National Minimum Wage does not apply to people who are genuinely self-employed.

  • If you are genuinely self-employed you will be responsible for paying your own National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax.
  • If you are contemplating becoming self-employed you should contact your local tax office to find out what you have to do and how to organise your tax and national insurance payments.
  • See the section on Tax and National Insurance at this site for further details.
  • Visit the GOV UK website: Student jobs and paying tax and Self-Assessment tax returns.

Some employers may tell you that you will be self-employed, when in fact you are really working as an employee.

See the GOV UK website: National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage Rates and Who gets the Minimum Wage which explains all about the minimum wage and advises how to distinguish between being a worker for an employer and being self-employed.

If you work for someone and are not genuinely self-employed, you are probably entitled to the minimum wage.

For information/advice contact:  Pay and work rights helpline and complaints