Disability & Wellbeing Service Accessing NHS, GP, Dental and Pharmacy Services

Further information

All students should register with a GP in relation to the postcode area of their term-time address. If you need support registering with a GP, please contact us (disability-wellbeing@strath.ac.uk) directly.

Most health centres are open Monday to Friday (8.30am to 12.30pm), (1.30pm to 6pm). The following three pieces of identification are usually required:

  • University of Strathclyde Student Registration Card or letter confirming your course
  • flat/rental agreement letter
  • passport

If you're a student and live in university accommodation, and/or also stay within the following postcode areas G1, G2, G3, G4, G21, G31, and G33 the Parade Group Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

If you live in the G1.1, G1.5, G21.1, G21.2, G21.3, G21.4, G31.2, G31.3, G32.6, G33.2, G4.0 postcode area Townhead Medical Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

Both these medical practices are within Townhead Health Centre, 6 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ES. Patients can ask to register with both Practices on a permanent or a temporary basis (if staying at the address for less than three months).

Online registration can be completed through the online application forms. These are on the Townhead Medical Practice website. Or the Parade Group Practice website.

Take identification with you when you attend the practice for your first appointment. You're advised to register as soon as possible, don't wait until you're unwell. This may delay your medical treatment, as they'll not have access to your previous medical records and/or history.

For health information, or to find services in your area, contact:

Once you've registered with a family doctor (GP), to get a non-urgent appointment you must phone the doctor’s surgery. The next available appointment will be given to you.

If you require an urgent appointment you must phone the surgery, normally at 8.30am. Request an urgent appointment. Don't ask to see a specific doctor. Provide as much information as possible, explaining the urgency of the request and the symptoms that you are experiencing. The GP will help you look after all your health needs. If they decide you need to see another health professional, they'll refer you.

Pharmacists, also known as dispensing chemists, are healthcare professionals who focus on the safe and effective use of medications. They are qualified to dispense prescription medications. They also give advice on over-the-counter remedies for minor ailments.

You can find your nearest Pharmacy by entering your postcode on the NHS Inform Pharmacy Finder or NHS GGC Pharmacy Website. To find out when a pharmacy is open telephone NHS inform on +44 (0)800 22 44 88.

Minor ailments

Your local Pharmacist can help with many common ailments. There's no need to make an appointment. Speak to your pharmacist first for advice on:

  • allergies
  • cold sores
  • constipation
  • coughs & colds
  • diarrhea
  • mouth ulcers
  • pain
  • sore throats
  • teething
  • upset tummies
  • minor ailments
  • stopping smoking
  • emergency contraception

Medicines and emergency contraception

All pharmacies dispense prescriptions. And most supply emergency contraception on the NHS. If you run out of regular medicines a pharmacist may give an urgent repeat supply. This is only in exceptional circumstances if you can’t get a prescription from your GP. Pharmacists can also help with medicines that you have had prescribed before.

Pharmacy First

Your Pharmacist can provide free treatment if:

  • you have impetigo
  • you're an adult woman (18 to 65) with an uncomplicated urinary tract infection

An NHS dentist helps you look after your teeth, gums and other parts of your mouth. You should register with a dentist that is convenient for you, whether it's near your home, university or work.

To find your nearest dental services, information can be obtained from NHS 24 tel: 111 or NHS Inform tel: +44 (0)800 22 44 88.

When you have found a dentist ask them if you can register as an NHS patient. Not all dentists provide NHS treatment. If a dentist agrees to accept you as an NHS patient, they will:

  • ask for some information about you, for example, your name and address
  • ask you to sign a form to register
  • arrange for you to have a dental check-up (which is usually free)
  • offer you information about their dental practice and the NHS dental services it provides; the dentist who will treat you and where you will be treated; give you a contact phone number

All students have to pay for dental treatment unless they are under 19 years of age. If you have a very low income, you may be able to receive help with these costs.

You can find a list of local opticians on the NHS Inform Ophthalmic Directory. All eye examinations are free in Scotland to those ordinarily resident in the UK or exempt from NHS charges. Visit NHS Inform for information on healthcare for overseas visitors.

For further information on your entitlement to NHS ophthalmic services, free eye examinations, NHS optical voucher and refunds please visit the NHS Inform Ophthalmic website.

The NHS Scotland sexual health services online appointments booking system provides an easy way for you to find and book an appointment at sexual health clinics across Scotland. The system will help you to book an appointment that is most convenient for you. It will search for an appointment based on your gender, age, location, and the type of service you require. The online booking system will enable you to book appointments for the following sexual health services:

  • contraception assessment, including repeat prescriptions
  • contraceptive coil (IUD) insertion and removal, including emergencies
  • contraceptive implant insertion and removal
  • HIV PrEP, including repeat prescriptions
  • HIV testing
  • other STI testing
  • young persons clinics

The system also lets you state if you would prefer a clinic exclusively for men who have sex with men, or if you need someone to translate for you.

Healthcare is free, though all students have to pay for dental and optical treatment unless you're under 19 years of age. If you have a very low income you may be able to receive help with this cost. You'll need to complete an HC1 form, which is available at Student Health and from The Advice Hub.

You may also be able to get an HC1 from your doctor, dentist or optician, Jobcentre plus office or by contacting the Health Cost advice line on +44 (0)131 275 6386.

Further information regarding exemption from NHS charges is available through the NHS low-income scheme. The majority of NHS services are provided free of charge, including:

  • GP practices
  • local pharmacies
  • hospitals
  • clinics
  • emergency services
  • eye examinations
  • dental examinations

Services that you may have to pay for include NHS dental treatments (in most cases) and glasses and contact lenses (in most cases).

You can find out more about accessing NHS treatment in the following pages: