Disability & Wellbeing ServiceGeneral health support

What general health support is available?

General health support is available from the Disability & Wellbeing Service. This is a confidential service available to all students at the University who we work with to enable them to access appropriate services. All students should register with a general practitioner (GP) in relation to the postcode area of their term-time address.

The Health & Wellbeing Adviser can assist in promoting positive health and wellbeing by providing advice and information on looking after your health. We provide support with health-related issues, assistance to access other professionals and advice on a range of health issues, minor illness and common ailments.

If you require emergency assistance or First Aid, telephone Security Control on the Emergency Number 2222 (+44 (0)141 548 2222). University Security Staff are available 24 Hours a day, are qualified to administer First Aid and will take appropriate action.

Further information

All students should register with a GP in relation to the postcode area of their term-time address. If you need support registering with a GP, please contact us (disability-wellbeing@strath.ac.uk) directly.

Most health centres are open Monday to Friday (8.30am to 12.30pm), (1.30pm to 6pm). The following three pieces of identification are usually required:

  • University of Strathclyde Student Registration Card or letter confirming your course
  • flat/rental agreement letter
  • passport

If you're a student and live in university accommodation, and/or also stay within the following postcode areas G1, G2, G3, G4, G21, G31, and G33 the Parade Group Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

If you live in the G1.1, G1.5, G21.1, G21.2, G21.3, G21.4, G31.2, G31.3, G32.6, G33.2, G4.0 postcode area Townhead Medical Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

Both these medical practices are within Townhead Health Centre, 6 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ES. Patients can ask to register with both Practices on a permanent or a temporary basis (if staying at the address for less than three months).

Online registration can be completed through the online application forms. These are on the Townhead Medical Practice website. Or the Parade Group Practice website.

Take identification with you when you attend the practice for your first appointment. You're advised to register as soon as possible, don't wait until you're unwell. This may delay your medical treatment, as they'll not have access to your previous medical records and/or history.

For health information, or to find services in your area, contact:

Flu can be unpleasant, but if you’re otherwise healthy, it’ll usually clear up on its own in about a week. But flu can be more severe in certain people, and the best time to have a flu vaccine is in the autumn before flu starts circulating. With coronavirus (COVID-19) around it's more important than ever to get the flu vaccine this autumn to protect yourself, others and the NHS. If you're in an eligible group you should receive a letter inviting you to get the flu vaccine, please follow these instructions. This year, you may notice you're invited to a new location to receive your flu vaccine or the health professional giving your immunisation has changed. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your vaccine at:

  • healthcare settings such as GP practices, hospitals or community pharmacies
  • community venues such as town halls, village halls, sports halls and secondary schools
  • drive-through or walk-through clinics

You can check on NHS Inform to see if you're eligible for the free flu vaccination and if you’re not in one of the eligible groups, the link will advise where you can get the vaccine within one of the many community pharmacies for a fee should you choose to. Find out more about the symptoms of flu or visit the self-help guide about Flu-like illness. Flu symptoms come on very quickly and can include symptoms such as:

  • fever (temperature above 37.8°C)
  • aches
  • dry, chesty cough
  • tiredness or exhaustion
  • headache

The Disability & Wellbeing Service would strongly encourage you to contact your GP urgently should you consider yourself to be at risk, or require medical treatment.

If you feel that you need help now, please contact your GP. Your GP can provide further assessment of your symptoms, discuss treatment options and refer you to Specialist Services. If your GP is closed, their answerphone will direct you to the appropriate support service, or you can call NHS 24 on 111.

First aid

The University Security staff are qualified to provide first aid on campus 24 hours a day and can be contacted on +44 (0)141 548 2222 or dial 2222 from any internal phone.


If it's an emergency situation, the following Emergency Services are available:

  • Campus Security via calling +44 (0)141 548 2222
  • Emergency Services via calling 999
  • Accident and Emergency Service nearest to the University is the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Castle Street, Glasgow G4
  • NHS 24 on 111 for Health Information and Self Care Advice

If you need to talk to someone, below are a list of supports that are available:

  • Samaritans Glasgow 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org anytime
  • Breathing Space 0800 83 85 87 (all weekend and Monday to Friday 6pm to 2am)
  • Nightline 0141 334 9516 (for students and staffed by local student volunteers) someone to talk to and will often be able to help with general information questions (Monday to Friday 7pm to 7am, during term time)
  • It may also be helpful for you to talk to a friend or family member