Pharmacist with patient

Accessing NHS, GP, Dental & Pharmacy Services


How to register with a General Practitioner

All students should register with a general practitioner (GP) in relation to the postcode area of their term-time address. If you require support registering with a GP, please contact us directly. Most health centres are open Monday-Friday (0830 – 1230), (1330 - 1800). The following 3 pieces of identification are usually required:

  • University of Strathclyde Student Registration Card or letter confirming your course
  • Flat/rental agreement letter
  • Passport.

If you are a student and live in university accommodation, and/or also stay within the following postcode areas G1, G2, G3, G4, G21,G31 and G33 the Parade Group Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

If you live in the G1.1, G1.5, G21.1, G21.2, G21.3, G21.4, G31.2, G31.3, G32.6, G33.2, G4.0 postcode area Townhead Medical Practice can accept you on to their Practice list.

Both these medical practices are within Townhead Health Centre, 6 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ES. Patients can ask to register with both Practices on a permanent or a temporary basis (if staying at the address for less than 3 months). 
Online registration can be completed by the online application forms on the Townhead Medical Practice website or the Parade Group Practice website
Please remember to take identification with you when you attend the practice for your first appointment. You are advised to register as soon as possible and not wait until you are unwell. This may delay your medical treatment, as they will not have access to your previous medical records and/or history.
For health information or to find services in your area contact: NHS 24 tel: 111 or NHS Inform tel: 0800 22 44 88


How to arrange an appointment with a General Practitioner

Once you have registered with a family doctor (GP), to get a non-urgent appointment you must phone the doctor’s surgery and the next available appointment will be given to you.
If you require an urgent appointment you must phone the surgery normally at 8.30am, and request an urgent appointment. Do not ask to see a specific doctor. Provide as much information as possible, explaining the urgency of the request and the symptoms that you are experiencing. The GP will help you look after all your health needs and if they decide you need to see another health professional they will refer you.


How to access a local Pharmacy

Pharmacists, also known as dispensing chemists, are healthcare professionals who focus on the safe and effective use of medications. They are qualified to dispense prescription medications as well as giving advice on over-the-counter remedies for minor ailments.
You can find your nearest Pharmacy by entering your Postcode on the NHS Inform Pharmacy Finder or NHS GGC Pharmacy Website. To find out when a pharmacy is open call NHS inform on 0800 22 44 88.

Minor Ailments: Your local Pharmacist can help with many common ailments. There is no need to make an appointment. Speak to your pharmacist first for advice on:

  • Allergies
  • Cold sores
  • Constipation
  • Coughs & colds
  • Diarrhoea
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Pain
  • Sore throats
  • Teething
  • Upset tummies
  • Minor Ailment Service
  • Stopping Smoking
  • Emergency Contraception

Medicines & Emergency Contraception: All pharmacies dispense prescriptions and most supply emergency contraception on the NHS. If you run out of regular medicines a pharmacist may give an urgent repeat supply. This is only in exceptional circumstances if you can’t get a prescription from your GP. Pharmacists can also help with medicines that you have had prescribed before.

Pharmacy First: Your Pharmacist can provide free treatment if:

  • you have impetigo
  • or you are an adult woman (18-65) with an uncomplicated urinary tract infection


How to register with a Dentist

An NHS dentist helps you look after your teeth, gums and other parts of your mouth. The Scottish Government provide more information on how to access NHS dental treatment in Scotland. You should register with a dentist that is convenient for you, whether it's near your home, University or work. 
To find your nearest dental services, information can be obtained from NHS 24 tel: 111 or NHS Inform tel: 0800 22 44 88.
When you have found a dentist ask them if you can register as an NHS patient. Not all dentists provide NHS treatment. If a dentist agrees to accept you as an NHS patient, they will:

  • ask for some information about you, for example, your name and address

  • ask you to sign a form to register

  • arrange for you to have a dental check-up (which is usually free), and

  • offer you information about their dental practice and the NHS dental services it provides; and the dentist who will treat you and where you will be treated; and give you a contact phone number.

All students have to pay for dental treatment unless you are under 19 years of age. If you have a very low income you may be able to receive help with these costs. Visit claim for help with health costs for further information.


How to arrange a routine or emergency Dental appointment

Once you have registered with a Dental Practice, to get a non-urgent appointment you must phone the dental practice and the next available appointment will be given to you. 

If you are not registered with a dentist and require emergency dental services contact the Emergency Dental Treatment Centre to make an urgent appointment. There is a charge for this service. 
Daytime tel: 0141 232 6323 and in the evening, through NHS 24 on tel: 111


How to access an Optician

You can find a list of local opticians on the NHS Inform Opthalmic Directory. All eye examinations are free in Scotland to those ordinarily resident in the UK or exempt from NHS charges.
For further information on your entitelement to NHS opthalmic services, free eye examinations, NHS optical voucher and refunds please visit the NHS Inform Opthalmic website. 


How to access NHS Scotland Sexual Health services

The NHS Scotland sexual health services online appointments booking system provides an easy way for you to find and book an appointment at sexual health clinics across Scotland. You can book your appointment online now by clicking here. The system will help you to book an appointment that is most convenient for you by allowing you to search for an appointment based on your Gender, Age, Location and the Type of Service you require. The online booking system will enable you to book appointments for the following sexual health services:

  • Contraception assessment - including repeat prescriptions
  • Contraceptive coil (IUD) insertion and removal - including emergencies
  • Contraceptive implant insertion and removal
  • HIV PrEP - including repeat prescriptions
  • HIV testing
  • Other STI testing
  • Young persons clinics

The system also lets you state if you would prefer a clinic exclusively for men who have sex with men, or if you need someone to translate for you.


Claiming for help with health costs

Healthcare is free, though all students have to pay for dental and optical treatment unless you are under 19 years of age. If you have a very low income you may be able to receive help with this cost. You will need to complete an HC1 form, which is available at Student Health and from The Advice Hub, Level 7 of the Students Union.

You may also be able to get an HC1 from your doctor, dentist or optician, Jobcentre plus office or by contacting the Health Cost advice line on 0131 275 6386.

Further information regarding exemption from NHS charges is available through the NHS low-income scheme. The majority of NHS services are provided free of charge, including:

  • GP practices
  • local pharmacies
  • hospitals
  • clinics
  • emergency services
  • eye examinations
  • dental examinations

Services that you may have to pay for include NHS dental treatments (in most cases) and glasses and contact lenses (in most cases).

You can find out more about accessing NHS treatment in the following pages:

Back to General Health Support