Disability & Wellbeing ServiceEvidence

For students to obtain adjustments to teaching and assessment - or to access additional resourced support - we need formal evidence of their disability. Different types of evidence are appropriate for different conditions or impairments. And for access to different services and facilities.

What we're trying to gather is evidence of how the student’s impairment or condition might impact their study. And their ability to attend their classes, tutorials, labs, placements, and other activities.

If the student requires adjustments to how the course is assessed, or if they require access to equipment or services which carry additional expense, they must provide us with written evidence. This must come from an appropriately qualified person, confirming their impairment or condition. This might consist of:

  • a letter from a medical professional, such as a GP or Consultant
  • a copy of a Certificate of Vision Impairment or a letter from an Audiologist
  • for students with a specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia), a diagnostic report. Or a letter signed by an Educational Psychologist confirming the diagnosis

If a student has difficulting sourcing evidence, please refer them to the Disability Service. The University can help students to get appropriate evidence.

Other evidence

We also gather evidence from the student about how they experience their impairment or condition. And how it impacts their learning. This evidence is gathered through a questionnaire and in person.

Information about the student’s needs, and how these have previously been met, is important. Together with a consideration of their current course requirements. We can't accept a letter from the student’s school confirming previous arrangements. But it may be useful secondary evidence in our assessment of a student’s needs