Strathclyde is well-recognised for its global outlook and the diverse, international make up of our student and staff communities.

Throughout the Brexit transition, our focus has been to ensure that we continue to offer an environment that is international in outlook, well-funded, and an attractive destination for talented staff from across Europe and beyond.  All of our staff are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming many more from across the globe in the future.

This guidance is to help ensure staff are aware of impending changes that take effect at the end of the current transition period.

EU Settlement Scheme 

The EU Settlement Scheme allows any EU citizen and their family members to apply for settled or pre-settled status.  The scheme is also available to other EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members.  There is no cost associated with applying.

The following people can apply under the settlement scheme:

  • EU citizens and their non-EU family members, including those with permanent residence documents;
  • Citizens of Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland;
  • Irish citizens do not need to apply, but can if they wish. There are separate arrangements for Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area. Non-Irish non-UK family members will need to apply;
  • Non-EU family members will be able to apply to the Settlement Scheme as long as they can show that they have been resident in the UK by 31 December 2020;
  • Close family members who are not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to join EU citizens in the UK in the future.  They will need to show that they have a relationship with the EU citizen and that it still exists when they apply to come to the UK.

You will also need to apply if you:

EU citizens with indefinite leave to remain or enter the UK will not need to apply.

There are three parts to the application:

  1. Identity – you can verify your identity by scanning your biometric passport, national ID card or resident card by using the EU Exit: Identity Document Check app, which is part of the integrated online application process.  The app is suitable for Android and iPhone users although you will need to have iPhone 7 or above.  An android mobile is available for use from the HR Department for anyone experiencing difficulties, although this will have to be arranged in advance due to our current working restrictions.  Please contact to arrange a suitable time to use the device.  Due to Covid-19 restrictions it is not possible to use the ID Document Scanning Services. We will update this page when this situation changes.  In the meantime, you can send your documents by post to the Home Office.
  2. Proof of residence – you will have to show that you have been resident in the UK.  NI numbers can be used for an automated check of government data.  If you do not have a NI number, you will need to show other proof of residence. 
  3. Criminality – you will have to declare any criminal history in the UK or overseas as part of your application.  The UK government has said that only serious or persistent criminality will affect applications.   

Applications can be made on the government website.

You will have until 30 June 2021 to apply and will need to have been living in the UK prior to 31 December 2020.

Viewing and proving your status

You can view your status or prove it to someone else online. You will not usually get a physical document.

If you’re from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland you will get a physical document if you do not already have a biometric residence card.

The document you get under the EU Settlement Scheme proves your rights in the UK only.

To accompany or join your EU, EEA or Swiss family member in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you’ll still have to either:

You can still prove your rights in the UK until 30 June 2021 with your passport or national identity card (if you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen), or with your biometric residence document.

If you are offered employment after 1 January 2021, you will need to provide your biometric residence information to the University before you begin work. 

Further help and support is available from the HR team and you can contact us at

1:1 Consultations for EEA staff on the impact of the UK leaving the EU (March 2021)

To support our European staff in relation to the implications of the UK leaving the EU we have asked our legal partner, Anderson Strathern, to hold one-to-one consultations with staff members to allow them the opportunity to discuss their own personal circumstances. The consultations will last no more than 15 minutes, and will be confidential between the employee and the solicitor at Anderson Strathern. There are 3 dates available for consultations, please note appointments are limited. Follow one the hyperlinks below to book an available 15-minute slot on your preferred date;

Briefing Session for EEA Staff Members – 17 November 2020