The Library is a large building. You must be able to leave quickly in an emergency, even if your usual exit is not available. Smart students Know Two Routes.
Please note the street levels:
- St James Road is equal to level two
- Stirling Road is equal to level one
- Cathedral Street is equal to level one
The Library has five exits:
- the main entrance/exit
- a staff entrance/exit on St James' Road from level two - this exit is also used by students with mobility difficulties with the evacuation lift
- an emergency exit on the north side of the building (staircase E), leading onto St James' Road
- an emergency exit on the east side of the building (staircase D), leading out to a staff car park at the junction of Stirling Road and St James' Road
- an exit on the south side of the building (staircase C), leading onto Cathedral Street
The Curran building
The Curran building has three emergency exits in addition to the main entrance/exit:
- an emergency exit on the north side of the building, leading onto St James' Road
- an emergency exit on the west side of the building (staircase A), leading onto the paved area at the front of the building
- an emergency exit on the south side of the building (staircase B), leading onto Cathedral Street
Fire alarm tests
We test the Library fire alarm at 9.30am every Tuesday. Evacuate the building if the alarm continues to ring.
In an emergency
- you must leave immediately by the nearest available exit - you may use any door in an emergency. Know more than one way out.
- your nearest exit may not be the one you normally use. Follow the emergency exit signs
- once you are in a stairwell, do not leave it until you reach an exit door at street level
- listen to instructions from staff
- do not use your phone until you are safely out of the building
- do not carry hot drinks, especially when using the stairs.