I received my PhD degree in power electronics from the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Strathclyde in 2008. In 2011, following a period of employment as a Research Associate at Strathclyde, I was appointed as a Lecturer in Power Electronics at the University of Aberdeen, and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2015. Currently, I am a Reader in power electronics at the University of Strathclyde (PEDEC Group). I have over 12 years of research experience in power electronics, electrical power engineering, renewable energy integration, distributed generation, solar energy systems, off-shore wind energy, DC/DC converters, smart grids, and HVDC.
I have won funding of £2.9 million as Primary and Co-Investigator on projects funded by EPRSC, the EU, the British Council, the Royal Society, Encompass, the Carnegie Trust, the Scottish Funding Council, the Oil and Gas Innovation Centre, and industry. Projects involve significant national and international collaboration: e.g. EPSRC grant EP/K006428/1 (£734,786) ‘DC Networks with DC/DC Converters for Integration of Large Renewable Sources’ which includes the Universities of Aberdeen and Strathclyde, the China Electric Power Research Institute (CEPRI), Hua Zhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU).
I have extensive experience of working with industry, having collaborated with Aker Solutions, Proven, Technip Umbilicals Ltd, and Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE). I have also designed and delivered a continuing professional development (CPD) course on HVDC for the SSE HVDC technology engineering team.
I have supervised/co-supervised 18 PhD students: 10 have graduated, and 8 are ongoing.
I with my collaborators published over 137 technical papers in refereed journals and conferences, 1 book, 1 book chapter, and a patent (PCT/GB2017/051364). Total citations of 4811 and h-index of 29.
I am a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Industrial Electronics and Power Electronics Societies, IET member and Charted Engineer. I am a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA). I am a member of the international PEMD and ICRERA conference organising committees. I am an Associate Editor of the IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society and the Elsevier Alexandria Engineering Journal.
Smart Grid Technology, EC link
Text Book: High Voltage Direct Current Transmission: Converters, Systems and DC Grids
Patent: (WO2017199016) DC/DC CONVERTER FOR HIGH POWER DC GRIDS
How to electrify UKCS oil and gas platforms?
- Electrification of Oil and Gas platforms.
- Distributed generation and microgrids for standalone and grid-connected applications
- Wind farm integration using power electronics
- MPPT control for photovoltaic grid connected systems
- Resonant converters for high voltage high power systems
- Power quality modification using active power filter
- high power high voltage DC/DC converters
- Multilevel converters for high power application (FACTS & HVDC)
- Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission Ltd, UK, ‘Circuit Optimisation for Multi-infeed HVDC Systems’, CI, 2012-2016.
- EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), ‘DC Networks with DC‑DC Converters for Integration of Large Renewable Sources’, CI, 2013-2016.
- Kick Start Award, Encompass project, ‘Coastal Solar Array’, PI, 2014.
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland Research Grant, PI, 2015.
- Royal Society Research Grant, PI, 2015.
- British Council Researcher Link Workshop Grant, PI, 2015.
- Scottish Funding Council, ‘Micro Wind turbine’ PI, 2015.
- EU Project, ‘Smart Grid Technology’, PI, 2016-2019.
- Scottish Funding Council, ‘Modified Metal Detection Machine’ PI, 2016.
- Oil and Gas Innovation Centre (OGIC) and Technip Umbilicals Ltd, ‘Load-Bearing MV Cable Termination for Umbilicals’, CI, 2017.
- KTP in collaboration with Ace Aquatec Ltd., ‘Fish Stunning Improvements’ PI, 2017-2019.
- Oil and Gas Technology Centre (OGTC), ‘Realising the Value of Offshore Grid Access for Small Pools’ PI, 2019-2020.
- Innovate UK, ‘High Speed, Magnet Free Traction Motors and Drives’, PI, 2019-2020.
- Iberdrola, ‘Design and testing of novel AC/DC microgrid control algorithms’, PI, 2019-2020.
- Rolls Royce Ltd., ‘Comparison of Power Electronics Converter System Options’, PI, 2019-2020.
- Iberdrola, ‘Distributed Generation Black Start’, PI, 2020.
- IEEE Access (Journal)
- Associate Editor
- Alexandria Engineering Journal (Journal)
- How to Electrify UKCS Oil and Gas Platforms?
- 9th IEEE International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA) 2020
- IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics (Journal)
- Guest editor
- IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society (Journal)
- Associate Editor
More professional activities
- Realising the value of offshore grid access for small pools
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Burt, Graeme (Co-investigator) Xu, Lie (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- High Speed, Magnet Free Traction Motors and Drives
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Williams, Barry (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 30-Jan-2020
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Future Power Networks and Smart Grids | Tait, James Gordon
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Burt, Graeme (Co-investigator) Tait, James Gordon (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Wind & Marine Energy Systems | Morris, Jennifer
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Co-investigator) Morris, Jennifer (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- REMS | Kervyn de Meerendre, Mathieu
- Egea Alvarez, Agusti (Principal Investigator) Ahmed, Khaled (Co-investigator) Kervyn de Meerendre, Mathieu (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2022
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Future Power Networks and Smart Grids | Naraghipour, Kianoush
- Ahmed, Khaled (Principal Investigator) Booth, Campbell (Co-investigator) Naraghipour, Kianoush (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2021
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Royal College Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map