Dr Aylin Ates, PhD, BSc (Hons), FHEA works at Strathclyde Business School as a Lecturer in Strategy. She is also the Programme Director for MSc in Project Management and Innovation. Aylin joined the University of Strathclyde in May 2008 after completing her PhD.
Aylin has a BSc in Industrial Engineering from Istanbul Technical University, Faculty of Management. She completed her PhD at the University of Strathclyde, which investigated strategy processes in manufacturing small and medium firms (SMEs) in the UK. She also held engineering and research manager roles in industry (Weir Group, Glasgow, 2004-2006; HSSMI Ltd, London, 2013-2014) and held research fellow positions at the University of Strathclyde, Design, Manufacture and Engineering Management Dept. (2008-2012).
Her expertise includes strategy development and implementation, organisational capability development for high performance and business model innovation. Aylin has a proven track record in delivering major EU and UK research council projects including EPSRC funded Management Processes Project (2005-2008, £370k), EU FP7 funded FutureSME Project (2009-2012, €8m), EPSRC funded CMAC Project (2012-2013). More recently, she is the PI of a KTP project (2017-2019, £141k, which is co-funded by EPSRC, SFC, Innovate UK and Fishers Services Ltd.)
She has executive education experience (FutureSME Organisational Capability Development Program, 2011-2013) and has researched within the automotive, electronics, aerospace and pharmaceuticals industries working with companies such as Weir Group, Linn Products Ltd, GSK, Astra Zeneca, Ford, JLR, Rolls Royce and SMAS/ SE.
Aylin has published extensively including 20+ international conference papers and 7 journal articles in leading journals as well as a book chapter in the "New Faces of Organizations in the 21st Century". Her research in strategy management in SMEs was used for a Business and Management Studies-Impact Case for REF2014 by the University of Strathclyde (see http://impact.ref.ac.uk/CaseStudies/CaseStudy.aspx?Id=42356).
Aylin has been involved in teaching since her doctoral studies (2008). Aylin designs and delivers modules on Strategy Management, Consulting and Strategic Project Management within post-graduate MSc and under-graduate programs.
- Consulting in Practice (SBS, MSc, 2015-present)
- Project Portfolio Management (SBS, MSc, 2015-present)
Prior Teaching Experience:
- Organisational Analysis & Strategy (SBS, UG, 2015-2017)
- Technology & Organisational Change (SBS, MSc, 2015-2017)
- Research Methods (SBS, UG, 2015-2017)
- Developing Business Strategy (SBS, MSc, 2010-2012)
- Strategic Technology Management (DMEM, MSc, 2010-2013)
- Sales, Purchasing & Marketing (DMEM, UG, 2008-2009)
- PhD Internal Examiner
- Friends of TS Queen Mary (External organisation)
- Invited Seminar on "Open Strategy in SMEs" at University of London, Dept. of Finance and Management
- PhD Examination
- International Journal of Operations and Production Management (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
- Laundry firm goes hi-tech with uni tie-up
more professional activities
- Student Excellence Award (SEA) - PhD studentship in Open Strategy
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Mar-2018 - 01-Mar-2021
- ERDF Atlantic Area Programme 2014-2020 IN. 4.0 Project
- Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Sminia, Harry (Co-investigator) Walls, Lesley (Co-investigator) Quigley, John (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Sep-2017 - 31-Aug-2020
- KTP - Fishers Services
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator) Paton, Steve (Co-investigator)
- Period 15-May-2017 - 14-May-2019
- EPSRC Understanding and Managing the Manage Processes
- Ates, Aylin (Post Grad Student)
- This project with Grant number GR/T25897/01 11603RA3330 had a budget of £372,945. The project aimed to understand what makes the successful companies different from the perspective of management processes. The project developed a means of modelling the managerial processes and tested a maturity model in 37 European manufacturing firms.
- Period 01-Mar-2005 - 11-Nov-2008
- SBS Internal Research Funding
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Jul-2015 - 31-Jul-2018
- Developing an Industrial Strategy for UK Metals Sector
- Ates, Aylin (Fellow)
- A UK wide 'Metals Forum' is established in collaboration with metals related companies, industrial associations and research organisations to develop an industrial strategy for the government.
BIS (Dept. for Business, Innovation and Skills) has been working with various key sectors in the UK to develop long-term industrial strategies to increase UK's competitiveness. This project has been part of this government initiative.
- Period 01-Nov-2014 - 31-Mar-2015
Strategy and Organisation
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map