I am a Senior Lecturer in Strategy and the Director of Postgraduate Teaching at Strathclyde Business School, Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship. I have a PhD from the University of Strathclyde, which investigated strategy processes in UK manufacturing SMEs and a BSc. in Industrial Engineering.
My research is focused on processes of strategy management to enhance resilience and performance within manufacturing SMEs and ecosystems. I have led several research projects as PI and Co-I, which have been funded by industry, the European Commission, EPSRC, the British Council - Newton Fund, Innovate UK, the Scottish Funding Council, and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. My research was mentioned in public media such as The Herald, BBC Radio Scotland, and the Scotsman.
My research is deeply embedded in business practice and I regularly engage with senior managers through qualitative, rich case studies and longitudinal ethnographic research methods. I regularly collaborate with SMEs and MNCs for research and teaching such as Weir Group, Linn Products Ltd, GSK, Astra Zeneca, Genzyme, Ford, JLR, and Rolls Royce.
I have been nominated for Teaching Excellence Awards and PhD Researcher Development Programme Supervisors Award. I am a member of the British Academy of Management, Academy of Management and European Academy of Management. My research is published in edited books (e.g. Emerald) and prominent academic journals such as International Journal of Operations and Production Management, International Journal of Production Research, Production Planning and Control, European Management Journal, and Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development.
I design and deliver modules on Strategic Management, Technology and Organisational Change and Consulting within post-graduate MSc and under-graduate programs.
- Consulting in Practice (PGT)
- Technology & Organisational Change (PGT)
- Business Strategy (PGT)
Prior Teaching Experience:
- Organisational Analysis & Strategy (UG)
- Project Portfolio Management (PGT)
- Research Methods (UG)
- Developing Business Strategy (PGT)
- Strategic Technology Management (PGT)
My research interests cover the areas of strategic management, performance management and manufacturing ecosystems mainly in small and medium enterprise context. I use qualitative data analysis techniques and happy to consider PhD applications in these fields.
- PhD External Examiner
- British Academy of Management (External organisation)
- Expert Assessor
- EURAM 2019: 19th Annual Conference of the European Academy of Management
- PhD External Examiner
- "Driving innovation and new business models within high technology UK manufacturing industries: Mechanisms adopted by the UK government to support SMEs"
More professional activities
- KTP - Leonardo
- Paton, Steve (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Sminia, Harry (Co-investigator)
- 04-Jan-2019 - 03-Jan-2021
- Entrepreneurship Masterclass: Creating and Maintaining Competitive Advantage
- Shaw, Eleanor (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Academic)
- Creating and sustaining a competitive advantage has become increasingly difficult in an ever-changing and dynamic environment. Businesses need to be adept at strategic thinking and strategic analysis and find ways to enhance impact, value and performance. This Masterclass taught approximately 25 business owners and entrepreneurs the tools and techniques to stay ahead of the game.
- 20-Jan-2019 - 21-Jan-2019
- Development of Green and Sustainable Ship Recycling Industry for Indonesia (Newton Fund)
- Kurt, Rafet (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) FARIYA, Siti (Researcher) Gunbeyaz, Sefer Anil (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 28-Jan-2021
- Student Excellence Award (SEA) - PhD studentship in Open Strategy
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2021
- ERDF Atlantic Area Programme 2014-2020 IN. 4.0 Project
- Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Sminia, Harry (Co-investigator) Walls, Lesley (Co-investigator) Quigley, John (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2020
- KTP - Fishers Services
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator) Paton, Steve (Co-investigator)
- 15-Jan-2017 - 14-Jan-2019
Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map