I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Strategy at Strathclyde Business School. I am leading the MSc in Project Management and Innovation as the Programme Director since 2015.
My research links the domains of strategy, technology, organisational change and innovation management within high technology manufacturing industries. My research is focused on processes of strategy management and strategic change to enhance resilience and adaptability within manufacturing small and medium enterprises (SMEs). My research is deeply embedded in business practice and I regularly engage with senior managers through qualitative, rich case studies and longitudinal ethnographic research methods. My collaborative research projects attracted significant funding from top commercial organisations and EPSRC, Innovate UK, the European Commission and the Scottish Funding Council. I regularly collaborate with SMEs and MNCs such as Weir Group, Linn Products Ltd, GSK, Astra Zeneca, Genzyme, Ford, JLR, and Rolls Royce.
I have been nominated for Teaching Excellence Awards and PhD Researcher Development Programme Supervisors Award. I am a member of the AoM and EURAM. My research is published in prominent academic journals such as International Journal of Operations and Production Management (ABS, 4*), International Journal of Production Research (ABS, 3*) and mentioned in public media such as The Herald, BBC Radio Scotland, and the Scotsman. I have a PhD from the University of Strathclyde, which investigated strategy processes in UK manufacturing SMEs and a BSc. in Industrial Engineering.
I design and deliver modules on Strategic Management, Technology and Organisational Change and Consulting within post-graduate MSc and under-graduate programs.
- Consulting in Practice (PGT)
- Technology & Organisational Change (PGT)
- Business Strategy (PGT)
Prior Teaching Experience:
- Organisational Analysis & Strategy (UG)
- Project Portfolio Management (PGT)
- Research Methods (UG)
- Developing Business Strategy (PGT)
- Strategic Technology Management (PGT)
- EURAM 2019: 19th Annual Conference of the European Academy of Management
- PhD External Examiner
- "Driving innovation and new business models within high technology UK manufacturing industries: Mechanisms adopted by the UK government to support SMEs"
- Facilitation of Strategy Away Day for AAC Clyde Space Ltd and its Board Members from the UK and Sweden, Edinburgh
- PhD External Examiner
- DBA Examination
more professional activities
- KTP - Leonardo
- Paton, Steve (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Sminia, Harry (Co-investigator)
- 04-Jan-2019 - 03-Jan-2021
- Entrepreneurship Masterclass: Creating and Maintaining Competitive Advantage
- Shaw, Eleanor (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Academic)
- Creating and sustaining a competitive advantage has become increasingly difficult in an ever-changing and dynamic environment. Businesses need to be adept at strategic thinking and strategic analysis and find ways to enhance impact, value and performance. This Masterclass taught approximately 25 business owners and entrepreneurs the tools and techniques to stay ahead of the game.
- 20-Jan-2019 - 21-Jan-2019
- Development of Green and Sustainable Ship Recycling Industry for Indonesia (Newton Fund)
- Kurt, Rafet (Principal Investigator) Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Gunbeyaz, Sefer Anil (Researcher) Siti Fariya, S (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- Student Excellence Award (SEA) - PhD studentship in Open Strategy
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2021
- ERDF Atlantic Area Programme 2014-2020 IN. 4.0 Project
- Ates, Aylin (Co-investigator) Sminia, Harry (Co-investigator) Walls, Lesley (Co-investigator) Quigley, John (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2020
- KTP - Fishers Services
- Ates, Aylin (Principal Investigator) Paton, Steve (Co-investigator)
- 15-Jan-2017 - 14-Jan-2019
Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map