Area of Expertise
I have experience and expertise in the following areas of AI:
- Data cleansing and outlier removal.
- Feature extraction for time-series.
- Dimensionailty reduction techniques.
- Production of (deep) machine learning based models.
- Model optimitisation by selection of the best hyperparameers.
- Data visualisation.
- Explianable models.
Prize And Awards
- Finalist in Herald Higher Education Awards - Outstanding Business Engagement in Universities
- Innovate UK KTP Engineering Excellence Award 2021
- ICSEA 2016 - Best Paper Award
- DASC 2015 - Best Paper Award
- SIN 2014 - Best Paper Award
- UBICOMM - Best Paper Award
- Auction-based network selection in a market-based framework for trading wireless communications services
- Konka Jakub, Andonovic Ivan, Michie Walter, Atkinson Robert
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology Vol 63, pp. 1365-1377 (2014)
- An advanced SOM algorithm applied to handover management within LTE
- Sinclair Neil, Harle David, Glover Ian, Irvine James, Atkinson Robert
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology Vol 62, pp. 1883-1894 (2013)
- Estimation of impulsive noise in an electricity substation
- Shan Q, Glover IA, Atkinson RC, Bhatti S, Portugues I, Moore PJ, Rutherford R, Vieira MFQ, Lima AMN, de Souza BA
- IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility Vol 53, pp. 653-663 (2011)
- RAID 6 hardware acceleration
- Gilroy Michael, Irvine J, Atkinson RC
- ACM Transactions in Embedded Computing Systems Vol 10 (2011)
- PCA-enhanced methodology for the identification of partial discharge locations
- Iorkyase Ephraim Tersoo, Tachtatzis Christos, Atkinson Robert
- Energies Vol 16 (2023)
- SatelliteCloudGenerator : controllable cloud and shadow synthesis for multi-spectral optical satellite images
- Czerkawski Mikolaj, Atkinson Robert, Michie Craig, Tachtatzis Christos
- Remote Sensing Vol 15 (2023)
- EE106 Engineering Design for Software Development 1: gentle introduction to computer programming using Python.
- EE320 Signals and Systems: signal processing concepts.
- EE471 Communications Networks: foundation in communication and computer networking concepts and protocols.
My research focusses on the entire data processing pipeline from data collection and storage, through data cleansing, parallelisation of feature extraction approaches, deployable dimensionailty reduction streategies, hyperparameter optiisation and the production of machine learning models.
The work is carried out in tandem with industry, with application areas that include partial discharge localisation, predictive maintenance of moving equipment, intrusion detetcion systems, and deception for cyber resillience.
- Energies (Journal)
- Guest editor
- The Challenges in the Implementation of Cloud-based Precision Livestock Management Services Provision
- European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (Publisher)
- Podcast participant: MACRO – The Cisco Innovation Podcast, Revolutionising Natural Disaster Response
- Online CPD - Social Benefits of Innovative Lighting
- 2015 IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference
- Development & Commercialisation of the world’s first technology enabling 100% of Post Consumer recycled bottles (rPET), to be remanufactured into “as new”, PET Bottles :PET-Yield
- Atkinson, Robert (Principal Investigator) Cardona Amengual, Javier (Co-investigator) Liggat, John (Co-investigator) Nordon, Alison (Co-investigator) Tachtatzis, Christos (Co-investigator) Wagner, Beverly (Co-investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2023
- Predictive maintenance for offshore wind turbines
- Atkinson, Robert (Principal Investigator) Andonovic, Ivan (Co-investigator) Cardona Amengual, Javier (Co-investigator) Carroll, James (Co-investigator) McMillan, David (Co-investigator) Tachtatzis, Christos (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2022
- Decision Support for Investment & Economic Development within Sparse Data Markets
- Tachtatzis, Christos (Principal Investigator) Andonovic, Ivan (Co-investigator) Atkinson, Robert (Co-investigator) Cardona Amengual, Javier (Co-investigator) Hamilton, Andrew (Co-investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator) Michie, Craig (Co-investigator)
- 11-Jan-2022 - 10-Jan-2023
- Digital Dairy Value-Chain for South-West Scotland and Cumbria (Strength in Places Fund)
- Michie, Craig (Principal Investigator) Wagner, Beverly (Academic) Wilson, Juliette (Academic) Andonovic, Ivan (Co-investigator) Atkinson, Robert (Co-investigator) Bellekens, Xavier (Co-investigator) Galloway, Stuart (Co-investigator) Kelly, Nicolas (Co-investigator) Lengden, Michael (Co-investigator) Revie, Matthew (Co-investigator) Stewart, Robert (Co-investigator) Tachtatzis, Christos (Co-investigator) Ward, Andrew (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2027
- DEFGRID - The Utility DSbD Demonstrator (ISCF Digital Security by Design)
- Atkinson, Robert (Principal Investigator) Andonovic, Ivan (Co-investigator) Coffele, Federico (Co-investigator) Irvine, James (Co-investigator) Michie, Craig (Co-investigator) Tachtatzis, Christos (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2025
- CAUDATA : Scratch and Rebuild Architecture
- Tachtatzis, Christos (Principal Investigator) Andonovic, Ivan (Co-investigator) Atkinson, Robert (Co-investigator) Bellekens, Xavier (Co-investigator) Ben Farah, Mohamed Lamine (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2021