James is an associate at the Fraser of Allander Institute and has worked at the Fraser of Allander Institute since 2016. His research interests are primarily in economic policy, macroeconomics, data communication and economic modelling.
Education and Key Skills
He has a Masters in Applied Economics, a degree in Mathematics, Statistics & Economics and is experienced in working with a range of public and private sector clients.
James is experienced in:
- Input-output modelling and hypothetical extractions
- Macroeconomic modelling
- Evaluating and modelling economic policies
- Analysis of the labour market, poverty and inclusive growth
- Analysis of businesses, markets and international trade
- Analysis of the health of the economy and government finances
- Running and evaluating business surveys
Making Projects Matter
James places a particular focus on creating impactful work that clearly communicates its findings. He is highly experienced in clearly communicating economic data and concepts through graphics and charts and has taught these skills in the Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics and the University of Strathclyde's MSc in Applied Economics. The communication of project findings is further improved by his experience in design software, including Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
Dissemination to various types of stakeholders is key to the success of many projects. James manages several of the Fraser's public-facing services, such as its article website, podcast and webinar series. He is also skilled in designing and coding websites and enhancing impact through search engine optimisation.
- Government Statistical Service Methodology Symposium
- R3 Scotland Conference - Investing in Scotland's Business Future
- Engage Week 2021: Multi-sectoral regional modelling workshop
- Support and opportunities for adults with learning disabilities in Scotland
- Cardiff Business Webinar
- Economic Contribution of the Pharmaceutical Sector to NI's Economy Webinar
More professional activities
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Briefing
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Mitchell, Mark (Co-investigator) McIntyre, Stuart (Co-investigator) Eiser, David (Co-investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator) Watts, Robert (Co-investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Researcher) Cooper, Benjamin (Researcher) Black, James (Researcher) Brocek, Frantisek (Researcher)
- 24-Jan-2021 - 04-Jan-2021
- Shetland Economic Accounts 2017
- Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Researcher) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- A Framework for the Production of Supply and Use and Input Output Tables for the Four Nations
- Davidson, Sharada Nia (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Principal Investigator) Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- In this report, we develop a strategic framework for the production of Supply and Use Tables across the four UK nations.
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- Economic Modelling of the Scottish Construction Industry
- Black, James (Principal Investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- The construction sector is an important contributor to the Scottish economy – directly supporting £8.5bn in Scottish GVA and supporting over 170,000 full-time equivalent jobs in the economy.
This project aims to highlight the economic impact of the construction sector, highlighting the multiplier effects that investment into this sector could stimulate and the potential economic impact that a VAT cut in repair and maintenance could have to support the Scottish economy in its economic recovery from COVID-19.
- 01-Jan-2020 - 26-Jan-2021
- The Economic Impact of Job Losses in the Civil Aviation and Aerospace Engineering Sectors in Scotland
- McGeoch, Adam (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2020
- The impact of the Coronavirus on the Northern Ireland economy
- Black, James (Principal Investigator) Brocek, Frantisek (Researcher) Connolly, Kevin (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator)
- 04-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2021